The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year,in the Seniors antlerless season i got a shot at one! I was heading back to my car and one stepped out onto a long mowed strip,on the game lands we hunt. I was in amazement? It was the first deer i had seen,not going 100 miles an hour,in a long time. It was so far away it looked the size of a puppy? I had just bought a shooting stick,for this season and it worked great as a walking stick.
As luck would have it,right inline with the deer,about 500 yards,in front of me and beyond myself and the deer stood my boys. I dropped to one knee.looked thru my scope and seen the deer but my boys were also in the sight picture. They seen me and the deer and moved quickly to get out of the line of the shot.
Then the shaking began! I haven't shot off hand in many years? I could not hold the gun steady. Stupid as i was,i had dropped my new shooting stick on the ground! Never crossed my mind i had it ! My scope picture was just going in circles,if you have ever had it happen to you.
It was like deer, then no deer,then deer, no
deer! The deer was walking straight at me so i only had a chest shot. I made a quick decision that the next time its chest showed up in the cross hairs to shoot.
Dumb luck or skill,i can't say,but the deer expired on the spot. Dead center chest shot!!!!I had to call the boys on the walkies to come out of hiding and help me!
The first words,as they all laughed at me, was " Why did you through your new shooting stick into the bushes?" I was so excited i forgot what it was for?
I will be 70 this season and the thrill of the hunt is still in me. I was as excited as my first deer ever taken!

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Maybe you should have passed on the shot, for several reasons? I know I would have, but to each thier own.

·
Registered
18,295 Posts
Nice shot. Congrats.

Good luck this season, i hope you get a really big buck.

70 and going strong, WOW, have a super healthy and safe season.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Congrats on that great shot!!

You made sure cross hairs were centered on chest & squeezed off. In off hand shooting there is always movement in FOV in aligning target. Key is to know when to squeeze.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Borden811. There was no reason to pass on the shot. The boys were out of line of sight by a long distance and i new where i was shooting, I had watched them go around a large woods covered ridge to my right as the deer wondered to my left down into a ravine in the opening.
Just so this is clear.
And ,my boys, as i call them,are 36 and 49 years old. They are not children,other than to me!
As a mater of fact,they told me they had seen it come out of the wood towards me,before i saw it and wondered why i had not shot. Well,it was in the ravine and i didn't see it?
So far,in over 56 years of hunting,have never taken a shot that i was not sure of????? I have had bullets whizz past me but have never took a chance on a deer.

·
Registered
18,295 Posts
browninggold said:
Wish I knew how to post that yellow little popcorn eating guy...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Borden811 said:
Maybe you should have passed on the shot, for several reasons? I know I would have, but to each thier own.
Another elitist remark from Mr-Know-It- All. Hope you are able to hunt when you reach the age of 70.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If I get another 40 years in the woods I'll be happy as you.

Some people do not understand the thrill of the hunt, I don't understand them.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Man that Borden guy can be hard to take sometimes.

Anyhow....thanks for posting your story. Got me thinking about deer season which is always a good thing.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Yeah, us guys that would pass on a shot when we know other human beings are behind the target for one, and can't even keep the the crosshairs on an entire deer for another...."it was like deer, then no deer, then deer, then no deer" are real hard to take. Must not be a whole lot of us out there that would rather pass a shot than fling a bullet and possibly wound an animal, or God forbid a person.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BORDEN,i respect your opinion,on this matter and hold no ill feelings towards you about it.
I did not type all of the circumstances of these few minutes that it had taken to harvest this deer? I will try to clear up some facts,here!
#1: Deer,then no deer, then deer, then no deer!
The action of this movement,as i think you visualize it,is at the speed of a washing machine agitator!
Well sir,trust the old man here! It was as well timed as a synchronized swimming team! I have been shooting for 57 years and have learned how to shoot? There is a lot more to it than just pulling a trigger.
#2:Rather pass a shot than fling a bullet?
Well,i can't shoot an aspirin out of the air but,we do shoot clay targets,from the trap range,at 200 yards off hand,for practice! That's like 3 inches in diameter. A deer is a lot bigger,even coming towards you,than 3 inches?
This deer was well over 160 yards,in the open,coming directly towards me,for a few minutes.
#3: My sons were [and Grandson & his Father]on the top of the next hollow. There was a big fairly step gap between us. I had to,NOW READ THIS BORDEN,shoot down hill on a grade,not much of one but a grade,away from the crew. The crew was over 1/2 or less,of a mile to my right and clear out of the shooting lane!
I seen them before i saw the deer. I seen them waving and jumping and pointing. I thought they wanted me to come back to the parking area,so i took a few steps and there i seen the deer,in a hollow coming up a grass strip,in the open!
#4: Possibly wound an animal.
I have no reason to lie,but i or my sons nor my Grandson,have ever wounded a deer we haven't got back to the car!{ My son-in-law has never shot at one?}
They also archery hunt,i stopped archery hunting a few years ago due to my hands and body being beat up from working in the underground mines.
#5:God forbid a person?
This was in the Senior and Inline season of October. I harvested mine on Thursday and my Grandson,got his first Black powder deer on Saturday.75 yard shot and it went 10 yards and flopped over. His smile was almost that wide?
At this time of the season there is no one in that area,during the week,maybe in the evenings bow hunting. It is doubtful though,because it is way back and very steep.
Where we hunt is all State Game Lands!There is a vast amount of it to hunt, with deer ,bears,squirrels,coyotes and nice flocks of turkeys !
An old saying is," THOSE THAN CAN DO,THOSE THAT CAN'T FIND FAULT?"

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Lol, I've got no problem doing. And now that you add more details, it doesn't sound as bad. But you've got to admit in your original post, you left out some details that made it seem pretty sketchy. I know I'm not the only one here that thought that, I'm just the only one that posted it.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hate typing, so i condensed it, and i am very understanding type person,so it was no big thing to me!

·
Registered
18,295 Posts
willyp said:
Well,i can't shoot an aspirin out of the air but,we do shoot clay targets,from the trap range,at 200 yards off hand,for practice!
DANG !!

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
I dropped to one knee.looked thru my scope and seen the deer but my boys were also in the sight picture.
Well, I don't care what others call me but this is completely unacceptable. The way I'm reading it, you saw your boys through the scope? Perhaps a hunter safety refresher course is in order?

·
Registered
18,295 Posts
HEY...William Tell shot an apple off someones head with a bow.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. lol I guess some of you have never been scoped by another hunter using his scope as a binocular. Not a great feeling. Call me crazy, but when you're out hunting you should not be seeing people in your scope, no matter how badly you want a deer. If you're seventy years old and have been hunting all of your life, act like you've been there before. If you don't get that deer it's going to be OK.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
That scope must have an extremely wide field of view.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts