The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i need a flint for my flintlock..it says to use a piece of leather to hold it in place? are those sold? or do you have to makeshift?

does loose powder shoot well with those new sabots? or does it only work with roundballs??

im reading the manual now, ill pass along any more questions.prolly going to take it out next week if theres a nice day for a couple hours..

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
They sell the leather but I use scrap pieces of deerskin.If you are shooting a flint,I'd stick with Goex(loose powder)in either FFFg or FFg.As far as using Sabots,round balls kill just as good,no plastic in rifling to be concerned about,give just as good groups,cheaper,and nothing is going to live with a 1/2" hole in its lungs or heart.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
just what 410-er said. Loose powder IMO is better then the pellets and I too prefer real blk powder. More deer have been killed with round balls than sabots. My lyman deerstalker shot rb's really well for such a short barrell.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I bought flint leather once, but now I just cut up an old leather glove.

It sounds like you might also be looking for flint Rich Pierce knaps great flint and he is very cheap. He sells the flint by the dozen.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
An old shoe, piece of a leather strap etc. should be about 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick. you will need a rectangle about 1/2 wide and 1 inch to 1.25 inches long.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Dont use lead unless you cant find leather. Go read the previous post on this subject --- lead will be your locks best friend of the two....Good luck.

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
Pending the lock i have used both with good success with no adverse effect to lock. Sheet lead is getting harder & harder to find.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I use lead to hold in my flints. I just hammer a round ball flat, only takes a few seconds, and you have enough sheet for 5 or 6 flints.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Yep, I've done that for a number of years with no ill affects to my locks. I will say that I use one hammered roundball per lock, so it ain't exactly "sheet" lead, but it clamps down on that flint somethin' fierce!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts