The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep.Been buying a Pa. hunting license for that long !
Over the last few years with the CWD stuff the edge has left me for deer hunting ? The CWD areas keep getting larger ?
Now it is a system to have your deer checked and if positive don't eat it !
So now why would I want to shoot one and stick my hands into the insides ? From what I have read there is no way to stop this from spreading and they issue tags for the CWD areas plus regular doe tags ? Why would anyone want to risk your family or friends getting sick from this meat ? Just how many folks will or would have the deer hang and wait for the results to come back ?

I do hunt in CWD areas because I have hunted them all my life so I can't see going anywhere else!
I have become just an antler hunter and will no longer shoot a border line racked deer.
I can't say if this is why I have seen fewer and fewer folks out on the first day of buck season but I would venture to say it has a little to do with it ?
IMHO once this reaches our Elk herd they will die off to !
What a shame our sport is self destructing !

·
Banned
89 Posts
Willy, CWD has been out West and Michigan & Wisconsin areas for years. I don't think that there is a single document case of CWD transferred to humans. Effected deer look like the walking dead & should be avoided. Just follow the proper field dressing & butchering protocol and you will be just fine. :smile2:

Oh, domestic meat animals can & are infected also too.

https://www.acsh.org/news/2018/01/10/cwd-mad-cow-disease-deer-threat-humans-12395

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You cannot tell by looking at an animal if it is infected until the symptoms show, the symptoms only show at the final stages of the disease. No human has been infected YET! Prion diseases can mutate and cross species lines.

Reactions: willyp

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
You cannot tell by looking at an animal if it is infected until the symptoms show, the symptoms only show at the final stages of the disease. No human has been infected YET! Prion diseases can mutate and cross species lines.
And on your way to your hunting spot you could be hit head on by texting driver and be killed instantly....

CWD was first found in wild cervid herds out west in the early 80s....in 35+ years, the potential has not come to reality. Do the guys that hunt out west have their deer/elk tested upon return before consuming them?

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
There are many things in life that I fear may kill me, CWD isn’t on my list.
This!!

CWD is not even on a prelist or even a list before that. I am sorta worried about that finding metal contamination in Juicy Juice packs though!!

·
Banned
89 Posts
Yes and don't worry about HIV or AIDS it is only in the big cities !

Willy, HIV or AIDS are documented human diseases, CWD is NOT. Hey, I may get cancer, dementia, pneumonia,etc,etc. So should I put on my tin foil hat and crawl under a rock? Don't worry, be happy & enjoy your time on Earth. :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Folks ( including me ) have been killing and eating mule deer and elk from the Rocky Mountain states for over fifty years ....CWD was first detected there in the early 60s. I’ve never heard of anybody who has fallen ill, nor have I ever known any of the residents of those areas to be concerned about CWD contaminated meat.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Holy smokes they found HIV in the deer close to the burgh and Philly. How come this isn’t being talked about.

·
Super Moderator
13,709 Posts
Congratulations on sixty years of hunting. I am not far behind you.

I am not worried about getting a prion disease from eating deer at this point in time or stage of my life, but I certainly would be concerned if I was a younger person and hunting and eating deer from a CWD positive area.

There are several prion diseases that do effect people and in most cases they don't know what caused them. Could it have been from eating a prion disease infected animal? Sure but no one knows for sure at this point.

It is also highly likely that most prion infections that cause death in people are never detected unless a full autopsy is done and that usually doesn't happen unless they suspect foul play.

There are some thoughts that many of the rapid onset dementia cases of younger people very well could actually be a prion disease that was not accurately diagnosed. There is no way they would know unless they examined the person brain after they died. I actually suspect there are way more prion disease deaths in this country than are getting detected and/or reported.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Banned
89 Posts
It is also highly likely that most prion infections that cause death in people are never detected unless a full autopsy is done and that usually doesn't happen unless they suspect foul play.

There are some thoughts that many of the rapid onset dementia cases of younger people very well could actually be a prion disease that was not accurately diagnosed. There is no way they would know unless they examined the person brain after they died. I actually suspect there are way more prion disease deaths in this country than are getting detected and/or reported.

Dick Bodenhorn

RSB, When a person dies and there is no probable cause, I pretty sure an autopsy is a normal protocol. And they can be requested by family of the decreased to determine cause. I know I would want to know why a loved one died. I'm not buying your opinion on this one. We agree to disagree.:wink2:

·
Super Moderator
13,709 Posts
RSB, When a person dies and there is no probable cause, I pretty sure an autopsy is a normal protocol. And they can be requested by family of the decreased to determine cause. I know I would want to know why a loved one died. I'm not buying your opinion on this one. We agree to disagree.:wink2:
How many people do you know that died of Alzheimer's disease or dementia and they did a full autopsy where they removed and examined the brain for the possibility of abscesses from a prion disease? All of the ones I know of they diagnosed it as simply Alzheimer's or dementia and when the person passed away that was ruled as the contributing cause of death without ever investigating to find out what caused the symptoms in the first place.

I don't have any idea if they are prion diseases but I do know there are people in the medical field who are starting to suspect they are.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yep.Been buying a Pa. hunting license for that long !
Over the last few years with the CWD stuff the edge has left me for deer hunting ? The CWD areas keep getting larger ?
Now it is a system to have your deer checked and if positive don't eat it !
So now why would I want to shoot one and stick my hands into the insides ? From what I have read there is no way to stop this from spreading and they issue tags for the CWD areas plus regular doe tags ? Why would anyone want to risk your family or friends getting sick from this meat ? Just how many folks will or would have the deer hang and wait for the results to come back ?

I do hunt in CWD areas because I have hunted them all my life so I can't see going anywhere else!
I have become just an antler hunter and will no longer shoot a border line racked deer.
I can't say if this is why I have seen fewer and fewer folks out on the first day of buck season but I would venture to say it has a little to do with it ?
IMHO once this reaches our Elk herd they will die off to !
What a shame our sport is self destructing !
I am right there with you Willy, 60 years for me as well!:grin2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts