The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
What is the 20 Yard pattern like?

When I shot the LB at 20 I had a single 1 inch hole with a few scattered BB's. I think the shot didn't leave the wad at 20 yards yet. Since I've killed a lot of birds in that 20 yard range I use standard turkey loads most of the time and LB when I'm hunting open woods and fields.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
I've seen ballistic tables for shot pellets geared toward waterfowl hunting that claim lead #5s launched at 1200fps run out of reliable killing performance at 40-45 yards. Soft flesh covering the skull and neck soak up energy, body parts that move at impact soak up energy, and elasticity of bone and tendons soak up energy much different than a tin can.

·
Super Moderator
15,066 Posts
Though you might get lucky and kill a gobbler with that load at 60 yards I see a lot of none kill area on that target. Shooting at turkeys at 60 yards is going to wound more turkeys, that die unrecovered, than you are going to be able to find and take home.

I shoot TSS shot out of a 12 gauge and I still limit my shots on turkeys to about 40 yards though I might stretch that out to 45 yards on an extreme case with a perfectly open shot.

If I can't get them that close then I can wait for a better opportunity where the odds are more in my favor.

Dick Bodenhorn

1 - 20 of 185 Posts