The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is in primary fermentation, been kickn about a week. Shot for lower SG this year because it was too hot for the mrs last year. Last year I went for 12% this year I am shooting for 8%.

Last year I cooked my juice out of my berries and it turned out pretty good. This year I threw all the berries strait into the primary.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Blackberry wine is usually better with the skins in primary. You may run into stabilization and bacterial problems with the lower alcohol, though. Do you use metabisfite?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Absolutely, five crushed campden tabs went in 24 hours before the yeast hit. It will get five more before bulk aging.

I need to rethink the cider this year, I dont think there will be any cinnamon in it this fall.

The must is a very very blood red this year. Last year it almost looked like tomato juice, I probably set the pectin by cooking it but it did clear and was great. It didnt even make it to a year. Nothing like drinking five gallons of young wine lol. Actually we didnt drink it all, we gave 90% away as Christmas gifts. Wont be happening this year.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also went to a red wine yeast strain this year. Last year I put EC1118 champagne yeast in it. This year RC 212.

The cider this year is getting an ale yeast.

·
Registered
460 Posts
DV10 is a good fruit wine yeast. That's what I always used for blackberries. But, I don't know if you can get it for home wine making. I would think you can, though. I used to order it in 10 kilo boxes for work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts