The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
traps ready to go. Need some coyote lure and scout Friday. Have Federale Bait, but heard better to use lure only early season.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
its great to see someone excited about trapping.

I will be in a couple weeks

·
Registered
431 Posts
I use baits from day one and loud baits at that.Never saw any problem using bait early
good luck and just have fun and don't get discouraged.It takes time to figure things out sometimes.Pay attention to what the animals tellyou

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
great bobcat,i could have sent you some!!why didn't you say you needed some?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cooncrazy said:
great bobcat,i could have sent you some!!why didn't you say you needed some?
Sorry cooncrazy, you were doing so much for me already. Just started to think about coyotes. Thought I could wait until Bobcat Season, but this Trapping feeling is stronger than I can control. LOL How much do I need to send you for shipping? Thanks a Bunch! P.S What would be the best lure for fox?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I was cutting firewood last week and dropped a tree across a farm road. Didn't finish cutting it up as I ran out of oil. So yesterday I went to cut the rest and as soon as I got out the truck, I saw fresh fox turd on one of the piles of sawdust. It was almost like he was calling me out. Definitly lit a little spark, but I will wait till mid November to go after him. I'll be using the "Sawdust Set".

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm! sawdust set. Just when I thought I had them all. Sorry honey, down goes the tree in the front yard! I am a dead man!! LOL

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Any time we cut firewood in the woods, the next day the area is littered with fox tracks if ground is snow covered.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
you can never have enough swivels!!

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Dang it Kip, now am going to put the chainsaw in the truck for first day of setting. Dang you.
Kip, Do you make a lure called 'Tree Nuts? or 'Woodchip Nuts'?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
hern and kip maybe try beaver droppings instead of saw dust. lol

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So when it says Fisher Season is 19th-24th December and you are Trapping Fisher, do you have to have your Trap out on the 24th or can you still Trap for them on the 24th and take it out the 25th?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
That is really cool to see how excited your getting about the upcoming trapping season B1.

I still get excited but not the youthful enthusiasm I used to have.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya, believe it or not, I am 58. Can't believe how this is affecting me. Want to go out Sunday and lay some steel, but I understand they are not prime right now. Guess I will contain myself for a couple more weeks! LOL I think it is because it is up to me to get this right. That's the reason I started Black powder hunting. Both with a rifle and a shotgun. I was missing something Hunting with the regular Rifles and Shotguns. Wasn't feeling like I earned the Trophy. With Trapping, I will be earning the Trophy.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Well said B1. I remember my first season when I was 13 in 1979. I was so excited but frustration slowly crept in after 2 weeks of getting up early before school and not catching anything. But then it happened, my first catch, on a beautiful mid November Friday morning. It may have only been a possum but that ugly son of a gun is always etched in my memory. Turned out to be my only catch of the season from my arsenal of 4 traps but that only got the ball rolling for me.
Despite the very low prices, I'll be out there. This will be more of an experimental year trying different things to see how effective or ineffective certain sets are. But, after reading your post, that just helps me to be more enthusiastic about the upcoming season.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts