The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have this combination, what brand of ammo do you recommend? I purchased two boxes (40 rounds total) of Remington Premier Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded. So far I have only used this ammo for sighting in and target shooting as I would never trust it in a hunting situation. I had several misfires and someone suggested that if I had a hammer spur installed that it might be the culprit. Well, I removed the spur and bought new scope mounts to raise the scope higher so I could cock the hammer without a spur. This did not solve my problem. Out of 30 shots fired I have had 16 misfires. That's more than 50% and totally unacceptable. I also have a .223 barrel and a .410/.45 Long Colt barrel and have never experienced a single misfire with any of the ammo I have used in those barrels.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Sound like you got 2 boxes of crap.Take some pics of them with dents in the primer and e-mail them to Remington and demand a refund.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at Silver State's website and noticed that they will use commercial primers instead of military spec primers if you specify that you will be using their 6.8 SPC ammo in a T/C firearm. Hmmmm.
Oh yeah, and it's about half the price of what I paid for the Remington stuff.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
sounds like a headspace problem to me...google up Bellm TC's and read adjusting headspace on your contender. Not a difficult task to do with a few tools.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If that were the problem why am I not having the same problem with any of the other barrels/loads used on this same frame?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
WOW! I have the exact same problem.I'v tried both Hornady and Silver State ammo.I first change locking bolt and spring and thought that was it,but still had same missfire problem.I'v tried three different frames and it seems to hit primer real hard but still not going off consistently
I gave up and sent frame and barrel to T/C will see what they say in a couple weeks.First question asked from T/C was did it have a hammer extension, but it never did.The more I read seems like headspace issue to me,but I just don't know I gave up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it seems obvious that due to the design of the gun and this particular cartridge (6.8 SPC) everything has to be just about perfect. My barrel came from TC and not some aftermarket outfit. Not saying they don't make mistakes but I would be more suspicious of the fit of the barrel if it came from someone else. I still wonder about the fact that this is really a military round and most ammo might be made with the assumption that it will be used in military type firearms, not a break action like the Contender. Why else would Silver State ask the question and state that they will use what I assume are better grade primers if they know you are going to be shooting this ammo in a TC?

Outdrnut, did you specify what type of gun you would be using this ammo in when you purchased it from Silver State?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Come to think of it, I did have misfire problems with my .223 barrel when I tried military surplus ammo but never had a problem with the Remington stuff in the .223. I am starting to think it could be a combination of poor barrel fit and cheap primers.

·
Banned
14,317 Posts
A while back I bought a 6.8 barrel for my contender carbine. The idea was my son's girlfriend was going to use it for deer hunting because of its light recoil. My son got me a box of Hornady 6.8 and we went to sight in the scope. About every other round was a mis-fire. I didn't know what was going on . I wanted the trigger lightened anyway so I had a local gunsmith do a trigger job plus I bought some different ammo rem 115 gr.core-lokt ultra bonded psp but I have been back to the range yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope you have better luck with your Rem ammo than I did. I have not received the Silver State ammo yet but when I do I will try it and post the results.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
My father received our 6.8 back from T/C today,the work order stated they replaced all parts on frame.
I have not seen the rifle yet but he said everything was new including trigger ,hammer locking bolt,basically all internal parts.
He fired several Hornady rounds with no misfires! but when he tried to shoot the Silver States it misfired again.
After reading Silver State website it states they use a military primer and it not to be used in T/C's. I am confident that our problem is solved,but would like to know exact reason.
He will be contacting T/C to check,but right now everything is good and did not cost us a cent! Hey blksn8k how did you make out with your Silver State commercial primer ammo?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts