The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think is my new favorite caliber, especially for Pa. deer. I shot mine a couple times yesterday at camp and man what a sweet little cartridge. Recoil is minute and the accuracy is phenominal. And to think I only recently found out and bought my first rifle chambered for it last year after deer season. I can't wait to try it this year along with the new .243. Long live the swede.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Guys, I know very little about this round. It seems to have a strong following, which I have only recently come to hear of.

Please educate this novice....what is the big fascination with the 6.5x55? Is it form over function?

·
Registered
174 Posts
It shoots a long bullet, That gives real good penetration.
Not much a difference in a 243, so i would go with the 243, as brass is easier to find. Its what a guy likes i have the 7x57, 243, and 6x55 also

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I always wanted a 6.5, but got the 260 instead. Both are nice rounds.

·
Registered
11,505 Posts
It is one of the best rounds available for the average PA hunter.

I had a chance to buy a Mod. 70 Featherweight in 6.5 x 55 but did not have the $. I still regret missing that opportunity.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John, Its comparable to the .260. Heres a good link by Mel at SC.
http://www.snipercentral.com/65swed.htm

The factory ammo here in the states is what I was shooting yesterday. This caliber is sweet for reloaders. As you can read in the link the standard USA loads are lightweight, but it's still fun to shoot. I was shooting 140 grainers and its wicked accurate. I have six different ammo makers to try yet, but only tried one yesterday, it was to hot and humid and I had a honey do list to deal with. Its definately getting the start this year. It's a Tikka T3 hunter topped it with a Burris 4.5-14 FFII and it easily put all three shots in the one inch bull at 100 yards. Its a sweet set up.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
thanks BT.

When I was a kid, my friend's family had an old bolt action they picked up cheap at an auction. They called it a 6.5 Italian.

Is it the same? Perhaps just an old Italian rifle in 6.5 Swede?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I think that was a Carcano rifle JH. We had one as well, in pieces.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
I have read a few articles that claim it has just the perfect ballistic coefficient for deer...The velocity is just right for the size of deer too..I know that any deer bullet placed in a vital will kill a deer. However it hits with just the right everything for deer size game.

·
Registered
11,505 Posts
Uncle Buck

Then there is it's accuracy and light recoil.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
About 50 years ago, foreign imports were hot in this country. I read about the Swedish Military Model 94 in 6.5X55 and its 17" barrel. I found one with a Bishop stock, but barrel was pitted. Took almost a year to get a new barrel from the factory in Sweden, then had my smith set it up. My reloads thru that little gun took a pile of deer until I gave it to my son ten years ago. Heck of a cartridge. Almost identical to the .260. They have become a favorite with silhouette shooters.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dogface said:
Uncle Buck

Then there is it's accuracy and light recoil.
[/quote

+2 And let me add, the Tikka T3 Hunter is the perfect match for the caliber IMO. Nice lite and well balanced rifle, plus I love the wood on mine. The action is smooth as butter and I love the detachable magazine.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
the 6.5X55 is just one awesome caliber. i know it's one caliber that i couldnt do without. there is somewhat of a cult following of this round...groundhogs to moose!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts