The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's my situation:

I missed a great deal recently on a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70. I've been sort of nosing around looking for another, although I've been losing the enthusiasm a bit.

Currently in my hunting rifle lineup (we won't discuss my milsurps now, lol), I have the following (in no particular order):

-pre'64, prewar Winchester Model 70 in 300H&H

-FN manufacture Model 70 "Extreme Weather" in 300WSM. (Yes, I know the H&H and WSM are nearly identical. I got the WSM and then the opportunity at the H&H fell in my lap.)

-New Haven manufacture Model 70 Classic "DBM-S"....detachable box mag, plastic ("Synthetic") stock, in 30-06.

-pre'64 Model 70 in 30-06 (happened on a deal, couldn't pass it up!)

-Model 70 Featherweight "XTR" (pushfeed) in 257 Roberts. This was inherited from my paternal grandfather.

-Ruger No. 1V, 25-06 (project gun from a member on here, it's nearly done...I'm hoping it'll see field time in the late doe season here in 5C).

Now, knowing all this I have three young girls, oldest is 10, who are interested in hunting and tag along with me for now (till they are ready to hunt, then I'll do the MY program or hunter safety, whichever is appropriate for their age at the time I deem them ready).

The 257 Bob is clearly not hard on the shoulder. I loaded it with 110gr Accubonds in my handloads, and it's a nice, tame rifle, accurate, and it kills deer real dead, real quick.

I anticipate the Ruger 1V will do likewise, as it's a 25-06, I planned to use the same 110AB's for now (I have a good supply of them). It is NOT a terribly heavy rifle, honestly. The relatively compact receiver (compared to a bolt gun) really saves weight.

Now, I could keep looking for the 45-70, as it clearly is not duplicative of what I have currently.

OR....

I may have a chance at a great buy on a Model 70 Classic (CRF gun) in 6.5x55 that is basically new. This is an uncommonly found chambering for a Model 70. I think it'd be awesome for the girls, and I'm sure I'd like it, too. It's a featherweight, by the way.

So....

Which would you go after? 45-70, or 6.5x55?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
If you feel that the 6.5 is a good deal, then I would buy it. You can always find another 45-70 at a later time. And them something else, them something else, them something else, them something else. You never have enough and there will always be another one that you need.

Good luck, Tony

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Got a 6.5X55 couple years ago & all of a sudden many in the ole gun cabinet are no longer needed!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Alright i'll be the different one. Go for the 45/70. You can get reduced recoil loads for the synthetic stocked 30/06 for the kids. And you have the Roberts and the 25/06 they can shoot also. For that matter, there are some pretty tame loads available for the 45/70.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
The 4570 guide guns are probably going to be around awhile. You could buy one next year or two years from now. You can do so much with the 6.5 X 55. From Chucks to Moose.. yes and the girls would enjoy and so would you..There is time for that 4570 down the road..I'd go with the swede!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 6.5 Swede.Have gathered up four of them in last 20 years.Three are surplus and shoot as good as I can try.The other is a custom,set up for hunting.Reloading for them is straight forward and have used factory ammo that performs well.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Finally an American Ammo mfgr offers a decent round for the Swede...it's 140 grain SST Interlock in the Superformance line. Shoots very well out of my 6.5X55 CZ 550FS.

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
Loggy said:
Finally an American Ammo mfgr offers a decent round for the Swede...it's 140 grain SST Interlock in the Superformance line. Shoots very well out of my 6.5X55 CZ 550FS.
I hope, you have better success w/ the SST's then I did.....I wasn't very happy w/ them at all....

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Ole' Raspy said:
Loggy said:
I hope, you have better success w/ the SST's then I did.....I wasn't very happy w/ them at all....

So far my success with the 6.5X55 140 grain Superformance SST/Interlocks has been nothing but outstanding! Killed one buck & 2 doe so far with all dropping in their tracks. At the range they also shoot better than the Norma line of factory ammo which is almost twice the cost. The SST/Interlock design bullet demonstrated outstanding penetration along with good expansion.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts