The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions between the two rounds......I'm sure, you reloaders out there can give me some of your thoughts about both rounds...

It will be a deer hunting rifle....

Thanks, Zumer

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The deer wont know the difference, the 260 is a bit faster and offers more factory loads. The 6.5x47 uses a small rifle primer, I dont know if cold weather missfires would be an issue or not, but that is something i would probally look into.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
I was gonna say that but I get tired of beating the Creedmoor drum. I'm happy with mine! IMO the best 6.5 out there.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Seems that the 6.5 swed had renewed interest and that spawned a lot of ballistically similiar cartridges. None seem to have an significant advangages of the others, just different for different sake.

You creedmore is a lower pressure round than the Lapua, but is relly not much different. Again you will be limited as to what you can buy from Hornady.

These new 6.5s will not be with us long, not because they are worthless. There are just too many that are really basically ballistically the same. The one ones that will be commerically available will be the 260 Remington and the 6.5 swed, IF that matters to you.

The advantage of the 6.5 is BC and light recoil, all these agive that.

If I was looking for a deer rifle I'd pick the 260 first, second choice woould be the 6.5 swed, the others woould be third choices and a toss up.

The Sweed requires a slightly longer action in my mind, and that might be a disadvantage to you. It has certainly killed a thousand times more deer than the Credmore or the lapua put to gether. In Europe the 6.5 swed is used on moose and other bigger game. Many Elk have been killed with it in the west.

The Lapua cartridges are all loaded to higher pressures, no sure this is an advantage at all, possibly less of an advantage if you are reloading for accuracy as case life will be shortened. I reload for many cartridges and I find the euro brass (except for Norma) to be to slightly different standards, so I usually need to ream primer pockets to get them right.

If you don't reload or don't like reloading then the x47 is going to be expensive and limited in what you can do with a 6.5.

having said all this my choices have been the 264 and the 260, I reload both. An my 260 Kimber is my "go to" Pa deer rifle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts