The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Personally i have not used a 58, but i have hunted with a few who do. The one guy uses a 62 rifle. All using a patched round ball. I have seen first hand that these larger calibers knock deer flat and with authority.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have been using a 58 for about 10yearsand like it very well iuse a .577 ball and 18 thousand patch with 90 grains of 2f in the flintlock the cap rifle is a t/c bigboar and roundballs dont shoot that well from it likes heavier conicals cast my own using a lyman mold and 100 grains of 2f

·
Registered
12,408 Posts
I shoot prb's from my 24 ga flinter smoothie and from my Zouave reproduction.

A big chunk o lead doesn't have to be moving very fast to knock them down.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Not a flinter but a TC Big Boar.Killed 1 deer with it.Mostly like my 45's but might have to take it out again this Oct.
50 yards.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I have a .58 Renegade flint. It shoots PBR very well. I may take it to Canada bear hunting, have not decided yet. No fears, the .58 is a winner!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have two 58 caliber renegades. One is a caplock and the other flint. I use 120 grs. of 2F and a .10 patch and a .570 roundball. Shoots better than I can and knocks deer flat.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Always wanted one of those Big Boar flintlocks in .58.
I am quite impressed with my .54 and could only imagine what that .58 will do!!!

Dave

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Sure its fun to have a large caliber but the deer I killed with it was not any more dead than the ones killed with my 45,50,or 54.It wasn't knocked off its feet.In fact it went about 50yds after the shot.About the same as my 45's with 50grs of powder hit in the heart.
Get one "just to have" but don't expect it to be a miracle caliber.

·
Registered
614 Posts
My Cabelas 58cal. Carbine converted from percussion to flint is my favorite RB gun. I have another barrel at Bob Hoyt's right now getting reamed from 54cal to 58cal. Also have a Getz 62cal. barrel on a renegade, when using RB's for deer, BIGGER IS ALWAYS BETTER?????

·
Registered
12,408 Posts
I have a 62 caliber bench gun which I don't get to shoot much. Don't take it hunting because it weighs 27 pounds.

I have another rifle barrel blank in 69 caliber that I want to build into a a shoulder-howitzer.

y 24 ga-58 caliber smooth bore is lighter than a TC hawkin. Fun to shoot, but I see no reason for loads over 80 grains even for hunting.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
i have hunted with a 62cal trade gun smoothbore and have shot alot of deer with it. it likes the prb and 70 grains of 3f. it shoots through most all deer if shot broadside. the 2 balls i have recovered over the years have traveled half the length of the deer, if shot on an angle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts