The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious what you 54 caliber flinter guys use and your experiences??

I've been back & forth between the .530 & .535 with various patch combinations. Accuracy wise...the .535 will marginally outperform the .530 but is much harder to load even when dropping down diameter of patch plus if too thin was getting some gas burn threws. I'm pretty much settled in with the .530 with a .018 pillow ticking patch.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My flinter has a 38 inch Getz barrel on it and I shoot .530 with .015 prelubed patch...just 75 grains of FFG. Started bringing a couple of speed loaders with same charge and ball but .010 patches for easier to load follow shot *if necessary, but hasnt been yet
Smiley

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
Depends on how your rifling was cut.Get a box of each and try them.Do combos of different patch thickness,RB size,and powder amounts.Go with tightest groups and most important is hitting what you aim at with that 1st shot out of a clean bore!
Not sure what make gun you have but generally Lymans like .018-.020 and TC's like .015-.018.
You should get groups of less than 1 1/2" at 50 yds.

·
Registered
614 Posts
JO-Anne Fabrics sells what is called (cotton drill cloth) its about 20th ,they also have pillow tick,at around 18th. Take your micrometer with you and start to measure cotton cloth at JO-Ann's ,they will look at you like your crazy ,but will understand after you tell them what's up. Buy a yard of a couple different thicknesses and bring it home and wash the cloth before using it.

My 54 renegade shoots best with 20th cotton drill and a .530 ball lubed with Lehigh Valley lube , old formula,I bought a lifetime supply back when it was available. I thing I heard a rumor that it was back in production. on top of 85gr of 3f powder.

Experimenting with different components is half the fun.

Keep trying you'll eventually get there.

Oh ,almost forgot wipe the barrel after each shot when working up loads. You will seldom need a second shot in a hunting situation,and loading a dirty barrel at that point will still be in the group close enough for a second killing shot. That first shot from a clean barrel is what is important.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends on how your rifling was cut.Get a box of each and try them.Do combos of different patch thickness,RB size,and powder amounts.Go with tightest groups and most important is hitting what you aim at with that 1st shot out of a clean bore!
Not sure what make gun you have but generally Lymans like .018-.020 and TC's like .015-.018.
You should get groups of less than 1 1/2" at 50 yds.
Yep 410-er good points but well past that stage years ago. Just curious what combo of ball/patch you 54 caliber shooters use and your experiences..

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Yep 410-er good points but well past that stage years ago.
:smile_big: Good grief yes. When Loggy turned twelve he got his first deer rifle. A brand new state of the art wheell lock. >:):grin2:

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
.530 RB with .018 pillow ticking and 80 grns of 3F. Im in the boiler room at 50 yds if I do my part. :turkey_track:

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts
:smile_big: Good grief yes. When Loggy turned twelve he got his first deer rifle. A brand new state of the art wheell lock. >:):grin2:
You are absolutely correct Buckskin, this old curmudgeon asking for this .54 cal. information is nearly as old as I am, and is probably still driving an antique, green Suburban! He was the last time we hunted together, which was in Tennessee chasing smelly old wild boars.

If I remember correctly, Loggy and I had this conversation during that hunt while toting nearly matching Brad Emig .54 cal. rifles and the proper roundball, patch, and powder to feed them. After he watched me miss a standing shot at one really, really small hog, my suggestion of .535 roundballs, .015 patching, and 85 grains of FFFg Goex, was promptly ignored, and rightfully so:wink2:.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are absolutely correct Buckskin, this old curmudgeon asking for this .54 cal. information is nearly as old as I am, and is probably still driving an antique, green Suburban! He was the last time we hunted together, which was in Tennessee chasing smelly old wild boars.

If I remember correctly, Loggy and I had this conversation during that hunt while toting nearly matching Brad Emig .54 cal. rifles and the proper roundball, patch, and powder to feed them. After he watched me miss a standing shot at one really, really small hog, my suggestion of .535 roundballs, .015 patching, and 85 grains of FFFg Goex, was promptly ignored, and rightfully so:wink2:.
Darn Berks....your memory is sharp!! Retired that 88 Suburban couple years ago....tuff decision!!

Seems I go through this .530 vs .535 dilemma every year!! Thanks for reminding me of that infamous TN boar shot where you demonstrated(live) the .535's performance.......think im back to the .530!!:grin2:

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts
Loggy, the important thing is, we're still out there able to chase critters with our flintlocks. The sad part for me is, I'm running out of hunting partners! Ken gave up on flintlocks, and my grandson now lives in North Carolina and his job is really keeping him busy with little hunting opportunity. Skip, the hog hunter standing to my left in the game trailer photo, heads to Florida for the winter.

My new hunting technique is, hunt just deep enough into the woods which allows enough energy to drag one back to the truck. I'm not sure how many more years I'll continue to head to Tioga Co. on my own, which my wife protests somewhat, but it is still a strong component of what keeps me enjoying each new day. Hunting is good for the soul!:wink2:

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Loggy, the important thing is, we're still out there able to chase critters with our flintlocks. The sad part for me is, I'm running out of hunting partners! Ken gave up on flintlocks, and my grandson now lives in North Carolina and his job is really keeping him busy with little hunting opportunity. Skip, the hog hunter standing to my left in the game trailer photo, heads to Florida for the winter.

My new hunting technique is, hunt just deep enough into the woods which allows enough energy to drag one back to the truck. I'm not sure how many more years I'll continue to head to Tioga Co. on my own, which my wife protests somewhat, but it is still a strong component of what keeps me enjoying each new day. Hunting is good for the soul!:wink2:
Sure glad to hear Skip is still kicking!!:smile2: Remember he was doing those Florida winter trips back when we did the hog hunt!! Pass on a hello from Loggy when you talk to Skip.

I too am taking it easier on my hunts. Been doing much more fishing vs hunting the past few years but still love all of it!! Not sure if I could still keep up with Todd Plank(was even tuff back then) on one of those Michaux Flinter hunts we used to do or Bunky when he wasn't falling/caught in the briars!! lol

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Hornady .530, Mink oil patch lube, .018 Pillow ticking. Shooting at 100 yards....front supported on bench holder, rear just me and my shoulder. 5 shots:

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some nice shooting there ST!! What gun??

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts
Great shooting, and a really fine looking rifle! Be sure to share a photo of your first harvest with this beauty. Good luck.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Depending on who's barrel your using but I find for a easy loading hunting rifle , a .520 roundball using a .022" pillow tick and bear grease lube ..

Start the ball in with my thumb ...

Might not be the most accurate load but deer don't know the difference ..

Al Martin

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My "new" Leman build from TOTW. Green Mt. .54 Cal barrel, L&R Lock. I really like shooting it at the range....itchin to shoot it out in the woods!!!

Beautiful gun Steeltrap!!! Great job!! Who said a CPA is only a bean counter!!!!:smile2:

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Depending on who's barrel your using but I find for a easy loading hunting rifle , a .520 roundball using a .022" pillow tick and bear grease lube ..

Start the ball in with my thumb ...

Might not be the most accurate load but deer don't know the difference ..

Al Martin
Al...do you cast your own roundballs? Seems only the .530 & .535 are the ones I see available.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts