The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the opportunity to see a 50 cal air rifle in action yesterday. Made in Korea by Sam Yang. It looked like an over under trap shotgun. It fired a bullet that looked like the Lee REAL muzzle loader bullet but with a hollow point. The gentleman put pellets through a piece of 2x6 and a piece of one inch particle board with no problem. (at 25 yards.) And he was also shooting at half pressure. When he fired the last shot, the pressure tank was down to 2,500 lb/in. It also cracked like a hi vel 22 rf when fired. It certainly would be suitable for small game if the legiscritters would change the law.

·
Registered
18,779 Posts
Rep Matt Gabler has a bill in game and fish. I have mentioned it many times here but it does not seem that hunters are remotely interested in air power as few have taken the time to contact our reps about it. I have.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Zimmer, I have had the chance to handle and fire quite a few PCP big bores. That Sam yang (probably the "dragon") will take medium, thin skinned game with ease within reasonable ranges (to be determined by the caliber and bullet wt) and velocity capability of the gun. I have seen hogs-BIG hogs taken with big bore pcps and heavy bullets to about 50 yards max. I'm all for high powered PCP big bores for small/ medium game use with proper training. They aren't cheap either ($500-$2000+) so it surely wouldn't be for everybody...

·
Registered
549 Posts
I would hunt small game with an air rifle if I were allowed. Even a half decent .177 or .22 air gun is capable of killing small game.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I have taken many chucks and other similar sized animals with springers in .177 and .22 in states that allow air rifles for hunting. I have personally witnessed a big chuck taken at 56 yards with a .22 cal. springer with a pellet to the ear hole.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I have also killed bucket loads of rock doves (pigeons) with my guns here in PA. Pretty sad when only starlings ,English sparrows and pigeons are allowed but its a no go on everything else...

·
Registered
549 Posts
I remember watching a video of a guy kill a wild boar with a 40 or 50 cal air gun. I don't know much about the gun he used but it killed the boar just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts