The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been shooting a compound for awhile now and the arrows I have are at least 5 years old. I'm down to 9 from the original doz and most of them need re-fletched. They are Gold Tips and they have worked very well for me over the years. My local bow shop is going to charge me 30 bucks to re-feltch and noch all 9 and I was wondering if arrow technology has changed much in the past 5 years and if it worth getting them fixed or just buying new ones.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I did not glue the nocks, Kyle said he would put them on for free. Just wondering if it is worth putting that money into newer "better?" arrows or if the ones that I have aren't that much different than the new ones.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have been using the same Easton style axis arrow for roughly 9 years. My last dozen is several years old at this point. No reason to update unless you want newer arrows. As for re-fletching, for a little more and some effort on your part you could get a simple jig, some blazer, and a tube of glue and re-fletch yourself. It will save you money in the long run.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
No reason to change if they aren't broken and you shoot well with them. I'd invest that $30 into a jig, fletch and glue or, do the hot water dipped vanes/crest. I have gone that route and they worked out well for me.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Wow! I wish my arrows lasted that long! I learned years ago that when practicing not to shoot more than 1 at the same target spot but between hunting and other 3-d shooters whacking my shafts I go thru arrows pretty quickly.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Other than the "flex check" anything that I should be looking for to make sure they are okay?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Carbon arrows , They are either Straight or they are Broke, I have some carbons that I shoot that are 16 yrs old . Always do they Flex Test if you Miss a Target , if You Hear a Cracking Noise when Flexing ,
Don't Shoot It. I seen a person one time shoot and miss a target and reshot that arrow and it broke and went through between his thumb and index finger
. I'll have to look but I got pictures of the arrow still through his hand . Not a Pretty Picture !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts