The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dunno if anyone here has gone out of state and shot fox, coyote, raccoon, etc with an AR57 or PS90 with the blue tip hp sporter round made by FN. Just thought I'd ask. I'm wondering if its a good fox/coyote combo round. Has more power than a .17 hmr and .22 mag, but not as heavy as a .223, and is apparently frangible. It's something like 2100fps with a bit over 300ftlbs, 40 grain bullet, from 16" barrel. Round is very good to 100yds, and can still make 200yds, but is pushing it ( wind will really upset it I'm sure). Ammo is hard to get right now, but thinking of next season if MD doesn't get stupid and ban these type guns. 10 rd mag for hunting though is ok lol, but should be MY choice, not some sleazy politician's. Target shooting all the time can get boring, I want to hunt with EBR's too.

·
Super Moderator
2,567 Posts
I known it to be a handgun cartridge, not a rifle but reading your ballistics it would appear to be fur friendly.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Currently the only guns chambered for 5.7x28 are semi-autos which can't be used in PA. Savage attempted to put it in a bolt action but couldn't get it to shoot groups. After two years of trying they gave up on it. Apparently FNH didn't design it for accuracy.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in Maryland where semi autos are allowed. I know accuracy isn't super tight, but it's suppossed to be OK out to 100yds. It was orginally designed for an SMG, so yeah, real accuracy was not on the design table. If I can make a 3" group at 100yds and learn to follow a slight moving target, it will put a fox down. But I won't know what I can actually do accuracy wise until I get more ammo and a better optic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts