The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upgrading my patriot this fall and looking pretty hard at an older 4Runner or Highlander. Had a couple Toyota’s and have been thoroughly impressed. Does anyone have any feedback good or bad on either one of these for a daily driver/hunting vehicle?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
My wife has a 2012 Highlander. Very nice everyday driver, but not a hunting vehicle by any stretch of the imagination. If you want a hunting vehicle go with the 4Runner.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have a 2015 4Runner trail I bought new. So far I haven't had any issues in mud, snow, farmer's fields, trails everything. I'm on my second set of tires and I put KO2s on it. They are great tires.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The fourrunner is body on frame as the highlander is unibody. Both have independent front suspension. Dad has fourrunner that is in shop all the time. 60k mi and just started 4th set of tires. I'm 6'2" and my head hits the ceiling and no leg room. My wrangler has more head and legroom for me and it has a solid front axle.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
The 4runner is still a highly capable 4WD truck based rig. The Highlander used to be, but it has been reduced to the soccer mom grocery getter like most other real SUVs have (it is a sin what Nissan did to the Pathfinder, for example). If you hunt in the boonies, enjoy mild off roading and don't want to worry about getting stuck, get the 4runner. If you need to go to the store for bread and milk and there is a half an inch of snow on the road, the Highlander will do.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
The fourrunner is body on frame as the highlander is unibody. Both have independent front suspension. Dad has fourrunner that is in shop all the time. 60k mi and just started 4th set of tires. I'm 6'2" and my head hits the ceiling and no leg room. My wrangler has more head and legroom for me and it has a solid front axle.
Actually, this would be a better comparison. 4runner vs Wrangler. They are more alike than the 4runner and Highlander.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've got a 2015 4Runner with ~140K miles on it and I've done nothing but change the oil and brakes. Each set of tires lasted ~60K miles. It's a tank. My folks have had a highlander for the last 10 years, smoother ride in the Highlander.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Always the 4Runner for hunting. I bought a new one in 2017 Specifically for hunting. The highlander, to me, looks like a minivan just without the sliding doors. They are a great highway family ride but the 4Runner has the ground clearance, the standard hitch, ruggedized instruments, and I can actually stand up straight under the open tailgate (hard to do on some SUVs when your 6'4"). My dealer tires have sucked and will need changed soon with 32k on them but that is expected from stock/dealer tires.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I’m 6’5” and just got a 2019 4-runner premium off road. Traded in my tundra trd pro in cement. Best thing I ever did! We own 2 runners now! The 4-runner is the easiest vehicle for me to get in and out of in 20 years!!! I love it! Drives great!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
It's funny the different perspectives you can get. I've had nothing but great experiences with Toyota's in general. We have a fleet of new/newer Wranglers and Cherokee's at work, I wouldn't take one for free. Nothing but problems.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's funny the different perspectives you can get. I've had nothing but great experiences with Toyota's in general. We have a fleet of new/newer Wranglers and Cherokee's at work, I wouldn't take one for free. Nothing but problems.
I am currently in a Jeep and would never own one again. Nothing but issues

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
My wife has a highlander and its a great daily driver and has been excellent in the snow. But I wouldn't take it hunting. To me hunting rigs need to have a bed so SUV's are out. I just recently traded in a 2008 tacoma with 140k miles on it that cost me less than 2K in repairs that fell outside of maintenance items over 10 years. If if was shopping for a toyota hunting rig I'd be looking at the tacomas over the SUVs.

For what its worth which isn't much I traded my tacoma for a crew cab long bed F350 that would fit all 3 kids in car seats and tow my camper. Otherwise I'd still have that tacoma.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts