The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I awoke to some white stuff today. After a 1.5 mile walk, I was set by 6:30. It was snowing and started to really come down. Thankfully I had a ball cap hat cause it was pretty bad. Could only see about 75 yards when the thunder started. This is the second time I've witnessed thundersnow in this hollow. To the west, is a mountain top that is 2700 feet. I wonder if this creates the violent weather I've witnessed here. It rains and snows here when there is nothing in the forecast or visible on the radar. The snow was coating me quickly but at 7:19 here comes this buck. It was one I have cam pics of, have seen spotting and was #6 on my list.

I cut him up and caped him out on the spot. Dad make it down by the time I was done (and once the snow stopped). Nice to have some help as it was in a bad place. All uphill to the truck.

Here's some pics.

Went to move him and his antler popped off !

These gamelands deer go way back in once the pressure starts. This pic was about 300 yards off the road. As the crow flys, I shot
him .78 miles from the cam pics.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I remember walking and walking to the spot and getting blasted by snow and thinking how much of an idiot I was. Long ago, I read a story about bucks moving in heavy snowfall. I have seen some a few times in heavy snow but looking like frosty isn't all that desirable for me. It was only one year ago where a big 12 and a big 9 were shot in a heavy snow storm where I hunt. Maybe there's something to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts