The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out in the late afternoon evening for the 2nd time and totally quiet. I covered alot of mountain and not 1 gobble or even a call back. The last few years we have had a good bit of action in the the afternoon. I haven't herd a bird since the 1st day, very uncommon for the birds to be done this early. Anyone else havin the same luck?

·
Registered
119 Posts
That’s been my experience the last 2 seasons where I hunt 4B. A buddy lives off the end of a point I hunt and he’s had trail camera pictures of 2 different longbeards and a jake during the season, but I’ve not heard them any of the 4 days I’ve hunted there. One of them has a nice set of spurs, so thinking at least 3 year old that’s not talking much.

I’ve assumed it’s due to bad weather affecting the last couple hatches. We had a similar situation in 2G for a couple years and this year there’s been more gobbling and birds. 2 years ago that area was very dry and we figure we had a good year class of birds. Just our observations and assumptions.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Im am only right down the road from you and i havent heard a peep since the first day. i have been out almost everyday and 2 evening and nothing. I haven't even seen a bird in any of the farmers fields during my travels.. I have been saying for a very long time our season comes in to late.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My son and I went to a farm last evening. Walking in we chased 2 gobblers out of a field and saw another in a different field. We got set up where I wanted and made about 2 calls. 4 maybe 5 birds started calling back, no gobbles. I was guessing a couple were jakes. They were pretty wound up so I stopped calling. I told my son something has to come out and check us out. Bout 5 minutes we spotted a bird coming down the edge right at us. It was a hen and she fed and scratched around my hen deak for bout 15 minutes. That was all we saw. I guess I have to get off the mountain and hunt the ridges. We will give that spot a try the last Saturday in the morning. Best of luck to everyone....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts