The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
319 Posts
My take on it is this....I ve hunted WT deer in TX,Missouri, Iowa,Ohio, Miss. and Illinois.

The lease is a great deal IF THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE INTO. As said before the deer on a private managed property are in a more natural state and much more likely to act as they do on the hunting shows you see on TV. Management for trophy bucks only makes sense and adds to the hunt. Alot of Midwestern states have public land that is also managed for trophies which is awesome. The mindset and hunting style in those states makes it more conducive to trophy hunting ...which IMO is how it should be.

I will say after chasing deer in the big woods on private and public lands the hunting in the mid west is usually easier due to more fields and less timber to deal with. If you scout and pay your dues eventually youll get a chance a t a monster....

This property would be a cool deal and had I not decided to have three boys I would probably join just for the fact I can hunt it Sundays and all weeks of the rut. I have yet to hunt Canada for WT deer but it s on the "hunting Bucket list" but aftrer huntin the deep south or Midwest Ill take the Midwest ....anytime..

Plus the cost at first may shock people but break down any hobby for all the money associated with it... if you re a hard core golfer youll easily spend 000's of $ a year doing it...

Good luck in your search for members Ill be wanting to see some kill photos later in the year

· Registered
319 Posts
John Henry said:
Cudorun said:
Lost Again & John Henry like Peppy said you have no clue!
Not at all. But since you disagree with me, I challenge you to prove me wrong. I stand by my statement that the majority of 160+ deer are shot on ranches where the hunter does nothing but show up with a rifle.

I am all for you having a lease in Ohio. But the work you put in makes you a minority in the big whitetails world. Most guys simply pay a ranch and shoot one.

I admire you for the work you put in to it. If I had more time, I would do the same. But no way I will ever pay 8,000 a year to lease something.
If by "ranch " you mean High fence outfits then the deer would only make SCI record books. Boone and Crockett and P & Y have fair chase laws ...last time I looked there were deer in both records from 160 inches and up...Big deer are where you scout em...More near AG areas and "managed farms"
to be sure not managing your farm for deer is like trout fishing only wild non "human improved" trout streams...

We lease 1200 acres in the great big woods of 2G. We are constantly trying to improve the land...

the timber companies do most of it for us but we always want to enhance the habitat(via food plots, winter feed etc etc) to grow larger bucks that s why guys pay to belong ...anyone can kill a 2.5 yr old 8 point in PA if you put your time in even in the "barren wastelands" of 2G ...Just my opinion

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.