The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://stateimpact.npr.org/pennsylvania...-drilling-site/

There’s been another acci­dent at a north­east­ern Penn­syl­va­nia drilling site: 4,700 gal­lons of hydrochlo­ric acid spilled at a Leroy Town­ship, Brad­ford County well pad oper­ated by Chief Oil and Gas on Wednesday

The spill comes two weeks after a thirty-foot methane geyser erupted near a Shell nat­ural gas well in nearby Union Town­ship, Tioga County.

Leroy is the same town­ship where a Chesa­peake Energy well suf­fered a 10,000-gallon frack­ing fluid blowout in 2011.

Click here to see where the well pad is located.

The Depart­ment of Envi­ron­men­tal Pro­tec­tion is plac­ing pre­lim­i­nary blame on a valve fail­ure. “The acid breached con­tain­ment and flowed off the well pad,” emails DEP spokesman Dan Spadoni. “Some of the acid was col­lected in a sed­i­men­ta­tion pond, while the remain­der flowed through a field and some reached a small trib­u­tary to Towanda Creek caus­ing a minor fish kill. Dams were con­structed in the trib­u­tary before any acid reached Towanda Creek.”

Can­ton Fire Chief Kim Jen­nings, who also helped lead the cleanup of the Shell methane geyser, says the spill is now under control.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
A valve fails and a spill happens, a small fish kill happens, you want them fined "Good"
The PFC dumps 1500 trout in water that is far to warm for them to survive, do you want them fined "good" also?
Mechanical error compared to human error. A difference in your mind?

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
bawanajim said:
A valve fails and a spill happens, a small fish kill happens, you want them fined "Good"
The PFC dumps 1500 trout in water that is far to warm for them to survive, do you want them fined "good" also?
Mechanical error compared to human error. A difference in your mind?
no it doesn't fine them can't take back what happened no room for human or mechanical error when your dealing with the environment.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
That's right bawanajim, we should let them off the hook. Same with what happened in the gulf! Mechanical error! Right????? Hope your drinking water doesn't have a "mechanical" error.... Now let's see how fast and professional the clean up goes.......that usually involves human error, and a bit of corner cutting greed....

·
Registered
463 Posts
Realistically, it was only an 800 gallon spill that left containment. Cleaned up immediately. I'm not condoning it but accidents do happen in EVERY industry. "Fish kill" was a few minnows in a pool of water that sounds as if not even flowing, and only about 50 gallons or less reached that spot.
Sounds as if they did a good job, and oh, they will be fined substantially for this.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am in no way condoning what happened, but I want to know what ppl say when there is a 18wheeler that flips and spills diesel fuel into the storm drains....? Should we give the driver the death penalty?

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
TributeArcher said:
I am in no way condoning what happened, but I want to know what ppl say when there is a 18wheeler that flips and spills diesel fuel into the storm drains....? Should we give the driver the death penalty?
Was he negligent in any way?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Yes fine the pfg. good also for stupidity.
They would me.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Hey, now that is a boon, only 800 gallons of hydrochloric acid left the containment area. No problem move on, nothing to see here.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
John,.....I agree, what was the total harm in the end? a few dead guppys..????

And certainly some fodder for the negative thinking antis to boast about.

I am not condoning any spills, and not nsaying its OK, just pointing out that the sky aint falling.......

How many gallons of pollution and chemicals do you suppose our current plants drop into the Susquehanna river every hour????

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I didn;t say the sky is falling. However, passing off 800 gallons of hydrochloric acid running into a water way or on land is not something to be laughed off either. It is that attitude that caused people ot to trust the drillers.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Point taken.......But I can say the "drillers" I deal with are "very" safty concience. I spent 2 mornings last week at safty meetings, mandatory for all contrator management, and all to do with getting safer.

The "drillers" I deal with do care about personal safty, as well as enviromental safety. But as with "ALL" industry, there is a certain inherit risk factor.
Sometimes the overall good far outweighs the minor bads. A part of progress that we all like, take advantage of, and use.....no matter how much we may grumble about the cost.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
buzz said:
But as with "ALL" industry, there is a certain inherit risk factor.
Sometimes the overall good far outweighs the minor bads. A part of progress that we all like, take advantage of, and use.....no matter how much we may grumble about the cost.
SPOT ON !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
My initial response was to show that you can't always rely on the news stories headline, not that it isn't a big deal. The actual amount that made it to the waters of the commonwealth was approximately 50 gallons, the rest was cleaned up and disposed of properly.
If I was dealing with the DEP on this incident, Since 4000 gals stayed in containment and did not touch the ground, I would have reported as an 800 gal spill with 50 gallons that made it to the waters of the commonwealth. All cleaned up immediately with ongoing sampling of waterways to show that all was contained and collected.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts