The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some .458 Sabots from Harvester Muzzle Loading and loaded up my CVA Optima V2 with 90grs. Triple 7 2F powder, the Harvester Sabot and 350 gr. Hornady FP bullet. At 100 yards I got a 1inch group and consider this pretty good. But here's the thing, I wonder if I'm getting enough velocity for that bullet to mushroom on a bear or a deer? I know when I touch that thing off it sure feels like enough on the recoil side of things.:wink2:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Is it the interlock bullet?
If so, I think the expansion envelop bottoms out around 1600fps... which is probably right around or a bit higher than the muzzle velocity you’re getting with 90gr loose 777.

You’ll definitely get plenty of penetration, but I’d be a bit doubtful on reliable expansion.

I haven’t tried that bullet, but have found the 300gr XTPs (non-Mag) in both 44 & 45cal expand well when pushed by 100gr 777 in my Optima V2, out to 175 yards. Haven’t tried any farther.
I’m partial to the 44 bullet, though... shoots flatter and a tad tighter in my barrel.
Both put meat on the table..

If it’s not the Interlock bullet, it should expand well enough. It might benefit from a little more speed, but probably not enough to worry about on deer, as you’re going to get complete pass-through regardless.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
You're not going to have any issues on whitetail deer. I've shot several whitetail with my 45-70 405gr. lead and the hole is big enough and on both sides that if they do run, it's only about 30 yards.

For bear I can't say.....but I would think you want penetration more than mushroom.

FWIW

1 - 3 of 3 Posts