The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just looking for some insight into my .45 cal smoke pole. I currently shoot 70 grains of powder out of this, what is the approximate max load for a .45?

Any suggestions for a sling? not sure if the weight of the barrel would prevent the use of a sling

Am I able to shoot maxiball out of this? or do i have to stick with a round ball?

That is all for now. Best of luck out there!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
find your best grouping , max powder doesnt always work, fff might work better than ff. As for a sling, beaverman leather makes a slip on, over the barrel and butt. Works very well, made out of leather and jute. You can try a maxiball, what do you have to lose.....

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Accu-riser.com for sling, I like rs5005 model, easy on and off, I forget his website was different name. 70fff should be ok, drop it down or up and the groups will tell you, only make the change in powder, don't change patch ball combo or maxiball only one thing at a time to get a true reading......

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
It is said load is somewhere between 1 gr. per caliber and 2 gr. per caliber with a rifle. Half (0.5gr.) to 1 gr. per caliber in a pistol.

For your .45 rifle, that is 45-90gr.

I would start @ 55gr. 3, 4 or 5 shots. Then 60gr. same shots. 65gr. same shots, 70gr. etc... Off the bench... At 25 yards.

Somewhere between the 55 and @ 80-85 will be more accurate than the rest. Will possibly be one ragged hole. That is your barrels "I likey" load... with that ball, patch and lube you used. Change the lube, or patch, or ball diameter, the accuracy will change.

When your load is worked up, THEN try the offhand at 50 yards! If accuracy suffers... find a shooting stick!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Retired_Rusty said:
It is said load is somewhere between 1 gr. per caliber and 2 gr. per caliber with a rifle. Half (0.5gr.) to 1 gr. per caliber in a pistol.

For your .45 rifle, that is 45-90gr.

I would start @ 55gr. 3, 4 or 5 shots. Then 60gr. same shots. 65gr. same shots, 70gr. etc... Off the bench... At 25 yards.

Somewhere between the 55 and @ 80-85 will be more accurate than the rest. Will possibly be one ragged hole. That is your barrels "I likey" load... with that ball, patch and lube you used. Change the lube, or patch, or ball diameter, the accuracy will change.

When your load is worked up, THEN try the offhand at 50 yards! If accuracy suffers... find a shooting stick!
Rusty, this is great, will def try this, thank you!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts