The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I just traded for a nice curly 45cal CVA Mt. rifle, and it is my first small bore. Stuff Im reading is powder numbers that are not linear with ball mass reduction.

I am looking for min-max and a good FFg and FFFg starting load.

I am also looking for someone who has the manual for it, that could scan and send me a copy. Yeah I know, "we don't need no stinkin' manuals"! But I like to see whats in them!

Any help on loads would be greatly appreciated, and might save a finger or two!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
50 gr of 3f would be a good starting point. that would give you about 1650 fps with a prb. you can work it up from there. 2f will give you about 200 fps less. see what groups and handles good for you. imo, 70 gr would be about max.(about 2000 fps) thats what i shot out of my kentucky long rifle years ago and i believe you have the shorter barrel. good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Sir, and this guy 33" and supposedly is 1:66 for prb. I checked with marking the ramrod, and its half a turn. So some kind of 1:60s.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
They must have not made many of em cause it seems that you never seem em in any type and cal.I,ve never ever seen one anywhere new or used or in the field.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You mean in 45? Or you never saw/held one of any caliber?

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
CVA Mountain rifles were the best production muzzleloaders ever made. A 58 cal flinter brings a big premium price. If I recall correctly, the 45 was discontinued by 1987.

I have the CVA schematic diagram and parts list for the Mountain rifle. I'll send it to you Rusty. Sorry don't have the manual, although I am not certain there was a model specific manual.

As for loads, the traditional rule of thumb was a grain of powder for each hundredth of caliber. ie 45 cal 45 grains. Double that for hunting loads.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Zimm! Here is what she looks like. Bore is sweet, barrel can use a lil steel wool, and Ramrod was crap, but I'll get a 5/16" @ Dixons next trek over. It was a roundabout trade for the Unfired Curly Renny I had.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I have a Percussion .50 cal. Mt. Rifle. Has the " Made in Usa' Barrel on it. The set Triggers are kind of a pain but sure is a shooter.....

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, the set trigger has a screw that is a bit long. Got adjusted right for light touch on fire, but screw head is still a bit there when you finger the set trigger. Need to see if Dixon has a smaller replacement screw.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Here is my CVA big bore in 54 cal. reworked into a pistol after it was found in a garage that was being torn down. It was a rusty piece of junk when I got it but turned out to be a shooter after alittle work and modifacation. 20 gr. of 3F with a PRB seems to work best. Lots of fun to shoot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts