The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just getting into reloading, and my question is what is the best all around load (powder type and bullet) for a 45 colt.

I'm looking for accuracy at 100 yards for hunting deer next season.

I was thinking about using Nosler 250grain JHP's but am unclear on what powder to load. You look at all the charts and they are all over the board.

I'm shooting these out of a Circuit judge. It's shoots factory loads great out to 100 yards with iron sites.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I would try and match the factory loads you are firing unless you are shooting the cowboy lead loads. n I just got a Ruger in .45 Colt but have not fired it yet. I did pick up some 2400 yesterday and will probably try it when I have sme cases.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been shooting the Cowboy lead loads. I'll figure it out. Thanks

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I doubt you will get any degree of 100 yd accuracy with a circut judge due to a short rifled area in the screw in attachment. and you need to make sure it will take the preasure from a hot load. There was a good reason revolving rifles never caught on when they were first put on the market prior to the lever action winchesters hitting the market.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as acccuracy goes, I was just at the range today shooting lead. I was cutting holes at 100yds, not one outside the bullseye. Shot around 60 factory loads.

The gun shoots nice at 100 yards with or without scope.

I just want to work up my own hunting load.

Most of my shots are 100yards and in, and I figured a jacketed hollow point would give me much better expansion on impact.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Your first, best move is to call Taurus and find out what pressures the gun is rated for.

Colt SAA's and to a big extent even S&W 25's will not live a long life at the same pressures a Ruger SBH will.

Life is too short to run a 30000 psi load through a gun that may be rated for 20000 psi.

Any 250-270 gr. hard cast load that's moving at 900-1000 fps should be among the milder pressures but will still poke a hole lengthwise through almost anything in PA

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Strut, All the loading charts I've looked at come no where near the pressures you speak of.

The muzzle velocities don't vary to much. Most of them with a 250 grain bullet don't exceed 700fps.

I'm not going to shoot a hot load or anything that might damage my rifle or myself.

I'm just looking for ideas on what powder, I've already determined the bullet.

Taurus says don't shoot reloads, just so they can cover thier butts.

Thanks for your input though.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
My Hornady number 9 manual lists different loads, would stick with those for the older colts etc and forget those more modern hotloads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts