The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 45 caliper / Diktar[CVA] black powder cannon,i don't need!
It is steel barreled[7 inches long] and rifled.I think it was called an old ironsides model.Is it worth anything,or should i ask,do people fire them? My son fired 10+ years ago,on the 4th of July.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Sure it's worth something.

If it was meant to be fired I'm sure there are those firing them.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Do you have any picture? and yes they are worth something

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I would love to have one. I have a carbide cannon and am one of those crazy neighbors that shoots it off whenever my team wins a big game or to scare the kids on Halloween

·
Registered
12,137 Posts
There are some muzzleloading cannon forums included at some black powder forum sites. There seems to be alot of them on ebay and some other auction sites. My 1984 CVA cat calls it the Old Ironsides, 7.5 inch rifled barrel, one inch wheels, 2.75 inch overall height 7.5 inch overall length and weight 22 oz. finished list cost back then was $41.95 and kit list was $36.96

All that being said. I was at a range near Davvisonville, MD many years ago. It was a black powder club and you could pull your vehicle up to within about 15 ftt behind the loading benches. A guy pulled in with his fancy customized van and parked side ways so his van was perpendicular to the range. He even had etched glass windows on this van. He and a buddy brought a little Old Iron sides cannon to "try out" Well they loaded it up on top the loading bench. When the fellow lit the fuse, he pushed away for the loading bench and it wobbled. As he and his buddy backed off and away, the cannon slowly rolled backwards, and tumbled off the loading bench, pointing straight backward. It put a hole through the fancy glass in the sliding door and a huge ugly hole and dent in the other side of the interior of the van.

The stooooooopid things some folks do. They are not toys.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Zimm,
that is funny but not. I have always said that you can't fix stupid. Lucky their was nobody in the van

·
Registered
12,137 Posts
Don't know if they still do it. JEB Stuart High School in Falls Church VA had a full scale cannon & would fire blank charges to celebrate touch downs during foot ball games. (I lived a half mile away for ten years) Imagine a high school in pA having full scale working artillery on campus.

I have a collection of model cannons and working cannons. From 45 caliber up to 1.25 inch bore. (Cracked a neighbor's window last time I fired a blank charge from that one.) Also have a wINCHESTER, breech loader 10 ga black powder blank cannon.

There are even matches for such cannons out west.

One last thought. In Adams County PA about 2000, at a 4th of July picnic a guy was shooting a home made cannon for fun. It blew up and killed a person. They charged the owner with reckless endangerment. i never heard what the outcome was.

They are firearms and have to be treated like them.

·
Registered
12,137 Posts
That a thunder mug in the center?

Tried to get a foundry to pour some full scale thunder mugs from brass or bronze. They got funny about it and backed out. I'd still like to get some done.
I have a mortar barrel yet to be mounted. (about the right size for a d cell flashlight battery projectile.)

Saw a video once of a guy firing a bowling ball mortar.

Nice collection. I don't have room for a fancy display shelf like yours.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Nice collection of cannons!! JEB Stuart High aye? My aunt and uncle graduated from there in the early 70's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts