The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Yes, the 45 acp round is rimless and shoulderless. so head spacing is a problem. It sort of headspaces on the front edge/mouth of the cartridge. Not conducive to high pressures and accuracy. the 357, 41 mag, 44 mag, and the 45 long colt have rims and are not suited to auto pistols, but are superior in a rile.

Rimless is an advantage in an auto loaded and a dis advantage in straight cases for revolvers and rifles. That is why god made half moon clips.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Yeah.....a friend of mine had a carbine like rifle in the 45acp. Kind of like a AK-47. When I pulled the trigger, it was like....let's go get a coffee and when we get back the bullet should reach the 100 yard target!!!

Honest!! You could hear that bullet buzz down the range and whap the cardboard target!!

Not what I would want in a A\R style carbine.

SW

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I had a Marlin "Camp Carbine" in 45 ACP once...I put a little 4x scope on top and the rifle really grouped well, like cloverleafs at 50 yards...I don't know why I sold it, but they are bringing big bucks now on the used gun circuit.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
45acp for deer?...yeah...I mean people kill deer with .223's. So, anything is possible. Heck, the 1911 tosses the 45 bullet at 800 to 900fps so that will kill a deer if the deer is close enough. Just don't try a 150 yard heart shot!!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Big difference between the 223 and 45 ACP for use on deer, though I'm sure a 45 ACP with hollowpoints would fair okay at 20-25 yards or closer.

About the only non-handgun I'd want to be chambered in 45 ACP would be a H&K UMP or a Thompson submachinegun.

If I were looking for a rifle chambered in a .45 cal handgun cartridge, I'd get a Marlin in 45 Colt or a Rossi in 454 Casull.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Scorpion said:
About the only non-handgun I'd want to be chambered in 45 ACP would be a H&K UMP or a Thompson submachinegun.
I agree. Now...let's lobby the PGC to get the 454 Casull legal for deer in a semi-auto. But we would ask to limit the magazine to....oh....say a 30 round mag!

Now....as long as John doesn't see this post.....I won't get torched.

SW

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Sethwood said:
Honest!! You could hear that bullet buzz down the range and whap the cardboard target!!
When the sun is right I can sometimes see the 45 ACP bullets going from my Colt 1911.....Just the same , they bury themselves into about eight inches of oak.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Harrysigafoo said:
Yes, the 45 acp round is rimless and shoulderless. so head spacing is a problem. It sort of headspaces on the front edge/mouth of the cartridge. Not conducive to high pressures and accuracy. the 357, 41 mag, 44 mag, and the 45 long colt have rims and are not suited to auto pistols, but are superior in a rile. Thanks for the info, it makes sense.

Rimless is an advantage in an auto loaded and a dis advantage in straight cases for revolvers and rifles. That is why god made half moon clips.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
VAPA said:
Harrysigafoo said:
Yes, the 45 acp round is rimless and shoulderless. so head spacing is a problem. It sort of headspaces on the front edge/mouth of the cartridge. Not conducive to high pressures and accuracy. the 357, 41 mag, 44 mag, and the 45 long colt have rims and are not suited to auto pistols, but are superior in a rile. Thanks for the info, it makes sense.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts