The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a 45 carry gun that I can still take and comfortably shoot at the range. I have looked today at the Springfield GI micro compact 1911 (539.99), Springfield XD compact(519.99), and the guy showed me a Smith and Wesson MP I believe it was about the same size as the XD but with a much thicker grip. I'm between the 1911 and the XD. I really dont want to spend more than 600 dollars on the gun. If you have any experience with these guns or input on another one in my price range let me know. Thanks ahead of time.

Ken

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I just bought a XD-40 several weeks ago and have been shooting it just about daily.For me the trigger took a little getting used to , but now after several hundred rounds i will say i am pleased with accuracy , function and handling.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been thought about the glock, they didnt have any in 45 only one subcompact 9mm he said so I didnt get to handle them. the 1911 was the most comftorble in my hand but the safety was a little bit tough to reach. and being single action would it be best to carry cocked and locked or safe off and hammer down. My uncle has a full size XD 45 and Im going to get ahold of him and shoot it. My step dad has a colt 1911 I love that gun. But I like the grip safe and trigger safe on the XD. Im going to look into a place that carrys Glock so I can check them out. Any one know of a place that carrys them not far from leechburg pa 15656?

Thanks

Ken

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Highfield,

I'm a 1911 fan all the way. I have a Springfield full size Mil-Spec that I bought 4 years ago and have added "stuff" to and it's a real keeper.

I recently acquired a Kimber ultra Carry II and it's not only accurate, but very easy to carry concealed. Just as easy to shoot as my full size Springer too.

For the price of the Springfield Microcompact I don't think you can go wrong. You can always add 1911 after market features down the road when you have a few bucks if you want to. You can get a trigger job if you want a 2-3lb trigger pull, get the front strap checkered, add night sights or a lazer sight to it.

There are so many after market products for the 1911 you can hardly go wrong. And, you can do it as you have the bucks.

MHO. I hope this helps

Dave

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
I have a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail 1911, I carry it everywhere.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I've had a Colt Defender for many years and its been good to me. When I bought it I was comparing it to a similar Kimber model. I liked the trigger better on the Kimber but the Defender just felt so much better in my hand. Figured it would be easier to improve the Colt trigger as compared to changing the feel of the Kimber. The trigger is really nice after grinding down and polishing the sear engagement.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q51-COLT_PISTOLS.aspx#

·
Registered
671 Posts
If you dont mind a SA, this is kind of hard to beat for the money. $485.00 , no res, on GunBroker.
Add the $28.oo ship fee, and $20 transfer fee your looking at $533 for a 13 round, 45acp, 2 / 12 round mags, and a Bianchi holster. This 45 will out last you and at least 1 grand kid. I have carried one of these since 1994. Changed 3 recoil springs,3 firing pin springs at a cost of around $15 total.I have shot over 8000 round of ammo, ( reloads, and carry ammo)and still goes bang, 13 times every time I touch the trigger at the range. With the right load, 200 grain XTPS,
I have no prob keeping 100 rounds inside a B27 target at 25 yards. One draw back though, No picitiny rail cut into the frame for attachments. But for an old school, hardcore, no bells or whistles kind of 45. It seems hard to beat for the $533. IMHO. P12 Para Ord. Steel Frame. Fully suported chamber, OK for +P ammo, and reloads will not void the warranty.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
HighField, I have been on sight for too many ammo and firearms test, if I am carryng it will be in a 40. The penetration, accuracy, mag capacity are far superior than the 45. They hit almost as hard also. As far as wich one to buy the Xd and the MP are both very comfortable, accurate, and reliable. The nice thing with the MP is that it comes from the factory with adjustable grips to nfit your hands.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I have a 5 inch smith and wesson 1911. I am well over six feet and it is almost too big for me. On the other side of the coin double tap ammo company loads .45's to almost the limit. I can shoot a round through two car doors and a pumpkin and the bullet still keeps going. The gun also hasn't jammed on me yet. Although it is a nice gun I have considered trading it in for a 4inch gun. I really like the looks of the dan wesson bobtail .45 or 10 millimeter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
duckman76 said:
HighField, I have been on sight for too many ammo and firearms test, if I am carryng it will be in a 40. The penetration, accuracy, mag capacity are far superior than the 45. They hit almost as hard also. As far as wich one to buy the Xd and the MP are both very comfortable, accurate, and reliable. The nice thing with the MP is that it comes from the factory with adjustable grips to nfit your hands.
Sorry I have been a 45 fan for 35 years, and highly reccomend the 45 for CC. the key word to your above statement on the 40 is almost! the 45 is still the superior cartridge for stopping power I also load for the 45 and can 1 hole a target all day with my 1911's from a rest. I shoot a Kimber Pro Tactical, Springfield Operator and also a taurus 1911. if you would like to try a 45 Tell your Dad to bring you out to my place. I mostly carry a S&W model 457 Compact 45 auto.
Ray

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ray I have shot the full size 1911 in 45 quite a bit and like it. What i need to practice is drawing it and knocking the safety off were the xd is ready to go when I un holster it.

Thanks

Ken

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Highfield,

IMHO, that's the downside to the XD and the Glock. Again, not to start a whizzin contest as this is just my opinion (that and $1.25 will get you a coffee at Sheetz) but Plaxico Burris would never have gone to jail if he just would had let that Glock he was carrying drop to the bottom of his pants!!

Instead, he reached for it and his finger pulls the trigger! Had he been carrying a 1911, that would have never happen! (Either the reach Ka-Pow, or the let it drop to the floor Ka-Pow)

Don't let the thumb safety of a 1911 sway you from owning one! Like any other gun....Practice, practice, practice!!! AND...you don't have to be at the range to safely practice a draw, safe off, and aim routine. You can do that in your living room! (Or basement if you have others around who may feel uncomfortable). JUST MAKE DOUBLE SURE THE WEAPON IS UNLOADED! CHAMBER AS WELL!! But you already knew that.

Again, IMHO, the thumb safety, and the grip safety are two of the best features of the 1911.

Dave

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The XD does have a grip safety. I have short wide hands. Makes reaching the safety a little far for my thumb. What im going to do is take my stepdads colt and play with it like you said unloaded draw safe off aim and do it all over. Thanks for every ones imput I have just about decided on either the 3" 1911 GI or the 4 " GI springfield.

Ken

·
Registered
996 Posts
hey man get yourself an inside the waistband holster and carry your uncles colt around for a few weeks. You may like it and then again you may want something alittle smaller.

that being said I can carry mine with a t shirt over it. Pull up the shirt with your left hand and draw with your right hand while simultaneously scrubbing the safety off with your right hand. One fluid motion can be done just as fast as pulling a revolver of a glock

you may find that an xd is too thick to carry well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im Down to the 3" or 4" 1911 GI springfield now I have been to sportsmans supply company in butler and have had good and bad service. I have bought 4 or 5 guns off of them and the service seems to be geting better. Does any one know of a good gunshop not that far away from Leechburg somewere in westmoreland county or armstrong. Im going to give bee's guns a call tomorrow and see if he wants to deal.

Again I want to thank every one thats been helping me with their opinion and experience. Defintly a great site with some good people.

Ken

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Bee's is a great shop. You can shop 'em, but I dunno if you can beat their prices.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a glock 45 gap and i love it. it is compact enough to carry everywhere and delivers the firepower of a 45. look into the glocks especially the gap it may be what you are looking for

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Don't get the .45 GAP. It's a flash in the pan. Ammo is hard to find, etc.

I went to a law enforcement training seminar and any time the .45 GAP was mentioned......nothing good was said.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts