The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a new-to-me Marlin Guide Gun inbound here soon....a true Marlin (
)....and am getting brass and dies with it. That said, any suggestions on starting points for it?

I've read RL-7 is a go-to powder for the old 45-70. How 'bout bullet suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Banned
462 Posts
If you are looking for something to shoot in the mean time, check out HSM Bear Loads. I got a 45/70 for xmas and am shooting the HSM bear loads out of it, they are a 430gr. gas checked hard cast lead bullet in starline brass pushing over 1800fps which is pretty comparable to hand loads and the hot loaded factory offerings of buffalo bore or garret. The price is right to, $29.99 a box at cabelas or sportsmans guide compared to $42.99 for a box of remi green box at walmart.

The above posted thread has a ton of good info and guys favorite hand loads, I started the thread looking for a info a few weeks ago and was surprised at just how many on here are using the 45/70.

·
Super Moderator
7,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good deal...thank you all!

Hopefully I'll have the rifle in hand in about a week. WMU 5C's late doe season runs for a bit yet, so I'm gonna try to sneak out for a doe with it if I can dodge the honey-do list!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Referring to Lyman 49th edition; I used H322 powder, R-P brass, Cast Performance Bullets; 405gr WLN-GC/0.459 diameter & Winchester lg rifle magnum primers(I adjusted each load down by 1.5gr.) I started with the lightest load and worked up to the max. I found that my particular rifle, which has a ported 18 1/2 in barrel, LOVED 47gr at an OAL of 2.546.

I put an XS sight systems scout mount on it along with their ghost ring rear & front sight; mounted a Leupold FX-II IER scope on her. Alas; saw no bear!!

I also installed the Wild West lg loop lever, Happy Trigger, and their Bear proof extracter & polished up all of the tool marks on the actions.

Just my input; hope it helps. THIS IS THE LOAD THAT I USE & I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY OTHERS WHO ATTEMPT USING THIS LOAD.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Look at this site- all the info you'll need for the 45/70. I use 405 gr.Remington bullets in my Marlin 45/70. <span style="text-decoration: underline">http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,266380.0.html </span>and<span style="text-decoration: underline"> http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,269380.0.html</span>

·
Super Moderator
7,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wound up with 59.0gr H322 and a Hornady 300gr HP. Gave me two groups of 1-1.2" at 100 yards, and I took a nice doe with it on Jan 25 (I hunt in 5C).

Thanks everyone for the input!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts