The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my nephew won a 44 mag rifle and asked me to load for it. he wants to carry it when hunting bear here in Pa. what loads would be good for it. not sure what rifle model or make it is yet. just looking for some general info. I know that loads for a rifle can be a little hotter than for a handgun.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Just thinking out loud but......what about a Barnes XPB if you might be wanting to drive deep on a big critter ??

Or a 300-ish grain lead cast ??

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
If I were carrying a .44 mag rifle for bear, I would definitely be thinking 300 grain bullet or heavier. There is not enough velocity out of that round to even worry about lighter bullets and a 300+ grain bullet will give you the best penetration.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I hunt with .44 Magnum revolvers (Ruger Super Redhawk and Super Blackhawk) and use handloaded 240-300gr XTP's over H110.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm pretty sure loading 300 gr. bullets the overall length will be too long to cycle from the magazine. At least they are in my marlin.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
7600 said:
I'm pretty sure loading 300 gr. bullets the overall length will be too long to cycle from the magazine. At least they are in my marlin.
See.......... I said I was thinking out loud......

Didn't say I thought of EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I don't reload rifle. I shoot the factory Federal/American Eagle 240Gr. HP's out of my Win. model 94. I've found more than one, between the hide and body on deer I was skinning. They don't always make it out the other side. Probably would want a little more penetration for bear.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
My mom uses the Hornady 240gr XTP factory ammo in her Ruger. Never found a round in an animal and devastating. I wouldn't hesitate to use one on a bear.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would wonder about even using a solid, going to produce a larger wound channel than many rifles that are commonly used for bear

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
TRAPJAW said:
My mom uses the Hornady 240gr XTP factory ammo in her Ruger. Never found a round in an animal and devastating. I wouldn't hesitate to use one on a bear.
same here with my sons 45 colt in a model 94 trapper. when you here him shoot, its one shot and deer down. bear shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
13,149 Posts
treemouse said:
I don't reload rifle. I shoot the factory Federal/American Eagle 240Gr. HP's out of my Win. model 94. I've found more than one, between the hide and body on deer I was skinning. They don't always make it out the other side. Probably would want a little more penetration for bear.
I am glad you mentioned those before I bought some. If I don`t use my reloads, my old standby is the Winchester USA White Box .44 Mag 240 grain soft points. They have Deer and Bear written on the box I believe these days. I have always had pass-thrus on deer and excellent performance on the killing part. The bonus is they are about the cheapest out there for 50 in a box and they are super accurate in all of my revolvers and rifles. The only downside and it is minimal is they are are fairly dirty, as in the barrel. They must use some weird powder for these to keep them cheaper in the price department, but worth every penny on the range and in the field.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts