The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your favorite factory ammo for deer in the .44 mag? I'll be shooting it out of an uncscoped colt anaconda, with a 6 inch barrel. I bought some cheap umc loads to sight it in with, and grabbed a box of hornady 240gr xtp , and a box of hornady 225gr ftx. What else should I try?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I shoot the 240 grain XTP. I get really good accuracy with them out of my 629 stealth hunter. I've always wanted to try the FTX but I dont want to re-sight the gun with the 225 grain bullet.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Unless you like excessive recoil don't bother with Buffalo Bore ammo for deer, they are way overkill and no fun at all to shoot.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I hunt with a handloaded 200gr. XTP and have always killed what I have shot. The first year I tried the 225ftx Hornady's I lost a nice doe I hit at 40 yards.

First and last time I will hunt with factory ftx loads.

SW

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I group about 3" @ 50yds with Federal fusions and the regular winchester super-X. Both rounds are 240gr. Shooting a Ruger, SRH with a 9.5" bbl.
I'll have to try the XTP rounds if everybody does this well with them.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have not bought alot of factory ammo. But Federal at one time made a premium hard cast load for the 44 magnum. I do not know if they still market that bullet. But it was a good choice back then. Tom.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, sounds like I already have a good start on things. I'll test these three out, and see how they do, and report back. I'm guessing based on my record with pistols and open sights, I'll have a giant group at 50 yards, and will be looking for a scope for it after my range trip

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
LOL, good luck while shooting. If it shoots anything like mine, it will kick like a mule and make you consider getting a 357! Man, i'm turning into a wimp these days

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I ran into a guy who had a .44 mag with a holo sight on it while hog hunting. It aquired the target very fast.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
Believe it or not I used to get good results with American Eagle 240gr soft points when I shot factory ammo. They shoot good out of my 357 too.

Same here. I got one buck with them and my wife got a couple doe.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I refuse to throw any rounds downrange at a deer that aren't a hollow point. Between me(with a .44 and 45-70)and my mom(with a .44 rifle) we have almost lost 4 deer due to the relativly slow heavy bullets just punching straight through and not doing any damage. I finaly switched over to the XTP's as well. No problems since, and they have taken quite a few deer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts