The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I've killed many with the Marlin carbine. One shot dead deer. In revolvers I know many guys that have bad records on deer. IMO they just can't shoot it accurately enoough to get proper shot placement. One of my friends with this problem just changed to the Cassull...that isn't going to be his answer.

So the cartridge is fine for deer out to 150 yards. but in hanguns the shooter is way more important in deciding if it is a deer killer. I like the 41 mag revolver for deer also, and if someone wants to hunt deer with a wheel gun that might be a better choice.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
technically, yes. but i'm a big believer in using as much gun as you can shoot accurately. as with anything, shot placement is key. i recovered a deer that someone shot with a 44 revolver too far back and right below the spine. the deer ran and we didn't find it til next morning. when i butchered it i saw where the bullet passed right below the spine and out the other side with little damage. remington factory loads, 245 grain. on the other hand, my son shot one in the exact same spot this year with a 338 federal and it dropped it on the spot and it was dead by the time we got to it. massive wound. a high powered rifle will be more forgiving of poor shot placement than a handgun round or varmint round. if you are going to hunt with a 44, make sure you can shoot it well and take only good shots.

·
Registered
889 Posts
44 magnum is a fantastic deer cartridge. Personally I like the 45 Colt just a bit better. The 45 Colt just has a little bigger hole than the 44 magnum. That is the main rason why I like the Colt more.

I like the 44 magnum for a couple of reasons. First the recoil is not bad in a lighter weight-faster handling lever action rifle-that rifle is also shorter for easier hunting in the woods.

The 44 magnum is more than adequate for any situation you could ever run into in the woods.

The next good thing about the 44 is the cost of ammo. And especially the cost of practice ammo. It is considerably less than most other ammo.

Personally I relaod and cast my own bullets. So cost of shooting is extremely less than shooting most CF rifles. I can cast, load, and shoot about 1,000 rounds for about $100. That is the price of two boxes(40 rounds) of some of the newer new fangled cartridges.

Once you have shot 1,000 rounds through your rifle I would say that you should be starting to get pretty proficient with it. Tom.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
HOGGHEAD said:
44 magnum is a fantastic deer cartridge. Personally I like the 45 Colt just a bit better. The 45 Colt just has a little bigger hole than the 44 magnum. That is the main rason why I like the Colt more.
I like and enjoy the 45 Colt more also - but the 44 will take deer cleanly all day long - as long as you are using proper hunting ammo and the ranges are normal...

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I used to hunt with someone who had one of the ruger bolt 44 mag rifles. He shot deer with it, and it worked well. Didn't attempt any long shots, but within the range he limited himself to it was a deer killer.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hmmm...this post has me thinking.

I have a model 94 in 44mag with the super short barrel...the Trapper model I think. It is pretty accurate with iron sites. I may practice with this and use it when I am driving the really thick stuff next season. Whenever I am in the thick stuff I see deer that are close. Almost too close for the scope.

Great idea!

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
As already stated a 44 mag thru the boiler room, be it from revolver or rifle will give you a dead deer in short order.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I have taken a couple with the 44 mag wheelgun but I really didn't care for the results that much. I just don't think that my 8 3/8" barreled S&W got the 240/250 grainers going fast enough to expand. I did take one with 180 grains one time and it did a fine job. I much prefer my .357 for deer over the .44; recoil and accuracy has nothing to do with it. The .44 just didn't drop them like the .357 did.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
All about shot placement.
Got 2 this year with the Marlin 44 Mag and 300 gr Hornady HP's.One at 30yds and other at 80yds.Both dropped with behind the shoulder shots.Here is the groups.
300 gr hornady XTP
20.5 grs of 296
5 shots at 50yds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts