The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please explain the features of the .44 Long Colt relative to a .44 Special and .44 Magnum? Is there a cost difference in terms of available ammunition of the .44 LC compared to the other two rounds and just what in the world makes the .44 LC attractive?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I think you mean .45 Long Colt? If you have a modern revolver the 45 can be hand loaded to near 44 mag performance. I used to shoot long range steel with a guy who used a .45. I o believe they shoot different bullets?

·
Registered
12,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you mean .45 Long Colt? If you have a modern revolver the 45 can be hand loaded to near 44 mag performance. I used to shoot long range steel with a guy who used a .45. I o believe they shoot different bullets?
Yep, brain fart - .45 LC.....

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Actually, the real name is simply .45 Colt but because of the S&W .45 Schofield revolver which was a double action break open action with a shorter cartridge than the Colt .45. When people would go to buy ammo they would say give me a box of .45 long Colt or .45 short.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I can't help you as far as in a handgun, but I can in a rifle. this will be my son's 20th year using a model 94 trapper in 45 colt and it is deadly on deer. we used to load for it, but today there are plenty of hotter loads available like we used to load. when you here him shoot, its one shot and deer on the ground. its an awesome deer cartridge.

·
Registered
784 Posts
44 long colt

44 long colt takes 428 dia bullit
can adapt 44 mag & special brass to44 long colt
trim rim a little smaller get a 44 colt brass holder and trim to proper length
use 44 mag dies to load the brass

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
44 & 45 colts

There was a 44 colt, but Asajoe1 knew you were referring to the 45 because you were asking about it in reference to much more modern cartridges! Due to the resurgence of interest in old cartridges, starline now makes brass for it. https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/44-Colt-Brass/

Some history here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.44_Colt

As to the 45 Colt and the name "45 Long Colt", it was just a nickname from cultural use since there were shorter rounds out there.

https://www.ammoland.com/2016/09/45-colt-vs-45-long-colt/#axzz4xCQwkeQX

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Honestly I see little or no advantage over a .44mag IMO. As other's have said you can handload the .45 LC to around 44mag performance but this requires a modern firearm, good components, etc... Cost of ammo is about the same I believe at least 44spl vs 45LC. The 45LC is mostly popular/attractive right now due to cowboy action shooting that really took off a few years ago.

I have a .454 Casull that also shoots .45LC so I have played with the .45 a good bit and it's fun to shoot.

If I had to choose between the 2 I would get a .44mag.

·
Banned
1,464 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts