The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started out last Saturday night with my personal best 33 pounder.

Ended up with myself getting 8 on the night for a total of 178lbs of carp, 16.5 being the smallest.

My buddy got the 10 pounder I'm the front. Also two nice cats at 12 and 9lbs.

The this Saturday night. The river was extremely muddy, when just last week, a few miles downstream, it was crystal clear.

Well, 30Yds from the boat ramp, I see a monster. Dead centered her, and pulled her to the boat. Couldn't believe the girth of her. Weighed in at 43.68lbs on my big game scale in the boat. And weighed 43.55 and 43.57 on two scales in the morning.

Compared to my 65lb daughter. Lol.

40 1/4" long with a 39 1/2" girth. The heaviest fish I have ever landed.

Ended up with 12 on the night with 12lbs being the smallest.

·
Registered
19,735 Posts
That's a great haul! Were they showing signs of spawning there? Some are spawning over here in the SW.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right full of eggs, but none of the females were releasing any as they came into the boat or as they were flopping around. None even came out when holding their bellies. I'd say they are a couple weeks out. The ones in our local lakes are up sucking on the banks big time right now, but I'm not seeing any piling on top of each other, spawning yet. These carp in the Susquehanna were right in the smallmouth beds. Especially last Saturday night. If I didn't let my buddy almost solely shoot last Saturday night, I would have easily had 20 fish alone. He was struggling with the bow he was using. I let him use a different bow this weekend and we were 12/16 on hitting the carp, together. Water was so muddy. You could see the mud clouds rolling from them, but just couldn't see the fish.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With her tail spread out, it was 14" tip to tip. The base of her tail had a 12" girth. Less than 6lbs off the NY state record.

The cat I got last weekend in PA was 3oz off the PA bowfishing state record.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
good haul. I was out on the river fri and sat nights, bugs were horrible!

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You aren't kidding!! There wasn't a hint of wind and it was humid. When we would turn to go across the river, we would have to go through our wake of 10 billion bugs that were following our lights. It was the worst night I have ever had for bugs. I couldn't believe how muddy the river was.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I tried to get a picture but it does no justice! I'll throw it up along with a few others in a new post.

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
What do you do with the carp?

I've heard that some people eat them but I've never tried that.

Also, what did the bugs look like? Size, color?

They were probably some kind of mayfly hatch, which can be heavy on the river. They provide a lot of food for the fish.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
troutbert said:
What do you do with the carp?

I've heard that some people eat them but I've never tried that.

Also, what did the bugs look like? Size, color?

They were probably some kind of mayfly hatch, which can be heavy on the river. They provide a lot of food for the fish.
Trapping bait mainly. Throw some in piles for the predators.

There were a lot of tan colored bugs that looked like big black gnats, but the weren't black. We covered the water with millions of them following the boat. The baitfish and panfish were having a field day with them. There were definitely some may flies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts