The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the 410 challenge is the new fad for the year why not try to kill a turkey with a bow ? Either a compound or a recurve ??????? I think harvesting one with a bow is a accomplishment. Ps no crossbows yes I own them also and they require no skill at all to use.

·
Banned
2,482 Posts
distance and use of the blind are determining factors. I am more comfortable shooting a turkey with my bow than a shotgun of any size. I have more range with my bow than shotgun shooters if I am in decent cover.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Taking a long beard with a bow using no blind or decoy is definitely a challenge and one that I have crossed off my bucket list.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
I'm comfortable in my ability to take a turkey cleanly with my compound out to about 30 yards... would prefer 20...
My 410? Nope, not gonna chance that... unless the Tom was within 10 yards...
Lol...you need to get up to speed on todays .410!
40 yard gun all day in these modern times!
Guns, chokes, tss!

Why anyone would consider it a challenge to shoot one with a .410 is beyond me. They shoot better then 12 gauges of 25 years ago.

Bow with no blind well that is a challenge.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Since the 410 challenge is the new fad for the year why not try to kill a turkey with a bow ? Either a compound or a recurve ??????? I think harvesting one with a bow is a accomplishment. Ps no crossbows yes I own them also and they require no skill at all to use.

:rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
7,829 Posts
...I was considering using my Rossi youth .410 single shot...but will just take the bow for the last week...

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Tim Wells was an archer, now he uses a spear. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
The hunt I hold as my "best" was a spot and stalk compound bow hunt on a fall longbeard.

There was nothing easy about it.

I still remember how ridiculous it seemed as I was in a hay field with a bow...

A 410 with a good choke and TSS would have made that hunt MUCH easier.

This summer I'm working on something special for next season.....there's a few of us shooting them with flintlocks. But I've yet to see one killed with a flintlock pistol....that's my next goal lol. Not sure what my range will be yet...I will be cheating with TSS just for the pellet counts and penetration. I think it'll still make a 10-15 maybe even 20yd turkey gun. We'll see...and it'll be tested a LOT before going to the woods.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mauser,
Flintlock or not no handguns for Turkeys in Penns Woods in the spring, not legal. Fall only. Just sayin.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Jr and I tried the bows one spring for the entire first week, we did not hunt from blinds or with decoys. If I remember right we had 7-8 opportunity's on mature gobblers. Getting a bow drawn is the tough part, the second week we took the shotguns and filled all our tags. Anyone who can get it done using a bow, without a blind and decoys is my hero....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts