The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has used the .410 for deer and how it worked out? I was in the shop this afternoon and saw some .410 slugs.

·
Registered
846 Posts
go to ohio and see what a winchester 9410 goes for, or the marlin equivalent. They are real effective out to 100 yards or so -no sabots, nothing, just old .410 foster slugs

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I'd be curious to hear from some users who have actually shot deer with these 410 slugs, and hear what they think of them....The ballistics of these seem pretty "inadequate".

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
i dont personally use one, but the guy we used to hunt with does. he got very sick and weak so he couldnt use a big gun anymore. he has taken many deer with a .410 slug, not a single problem.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I took a small doe with a .410. The shot was about 30 yds and the deer was feeding. Good solid lung shot, but the deer acted as though it wasn't hit. I was just about to shoot again when it fell over. Did the job I guess, but not quite to my satisfaction. Never deer hunted with the .410 again.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i knew a guy who butchered a deer years ago and found a what looked like 410 slug buried in the deers shoulder from past years. i would never use one for deer. if recoil is an issue there are better low recoil rounds like 20 guage slug or 44 mag.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts