The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there have experience with the .41 rem mag? The ballistics look close to a .44, but with a little less recoil. Have Smith model 57, wondering if possible for deer.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Load 'em with a heavy bullet and load 'em stout. Go for the lungs. Let the air out of 'em and they drop pretty quick.

I've always hunted with the 44 magnum and 200gr. Hornady's. I haven't had one get away yet.

Dave

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Owned one for years....it'll do anything a .44 will do with the same grain bullet or similar. I've shot deer with both and they couldn't tell the difference. My Smith model 57 was the most accurate centerfire handgun I've ever owned.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Is there a reason to buy a .41 cal when you can get a .44 cal. Both guns are the same weight & recoil. However, If you have to buy ammo I think .44 mags are a LOT CHEAPER.

Now, if you are buying a .41 at a really good price, I would buy it.

·
Registered
893 Posts
joe8768 said:
Is there a reason to buy a .41 cal when you can get a .44 cal. Both guns are the same weight & recoil. However, If you have to buy ammo I think .44 mags are a LOT CHEAPER.

Now, if you are buying a .41 at a really good price, I would buy it.
Selection of ammo and reloading components is certainly more plentiful in the 44mag arena but that isn't to say you can't find what is needed for the 41 mag.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I've always felt something like good ranges for deer were 357 50 yards, 41 75 yards, 44 100 yards, and 454 150 yards (scoped), assuming a 6-7.5" barrel. I've taken a few deer with a few different 44s, cougar with a 4" Taurus Ti 41, and a bear with a Ruger SRH 454. Don't know what barrel length your 57 is but if it is at least 6" it will do fine on deer at moderate ranges.

I wouldn't mind using my 41 on deer but with the 4" barrel open sights I would probably limit myself to 50yds.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Elmer Keith used a 4" barrel 44mag to shoot a buck at 600 yards. He consistently used it to shoot jack rabbits at 100. Now he was a good shot with his pistol, but with some practice a 4" barrel can be effective on a revolver for taking deer at over 100 yards. Not to mention they handle better.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
joe8768 said:
Is there a reason to buy a .41 cal when you can get a .44 cal. Both guns are the same weight & recoil.
Not really..I bought my Ruger Blackhawk 41 because it is built on the same frame as the 357...The Super Blackhawk 44 mag is a much bigger and heavier handgun.....A big difference when you are trying to carry both a handgun and a rifle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts