The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this box going through my ammo. I've had it for 30 plus years and don't know why. Anyone know the time period. This is a full box. Just wanted info or if any collectors or shooters of this ammo have any input. Thanks

·
Registered
12,137 Posts
According to Barnes' Cartridges of the World, the 40-65 was introduced by Win. in 1887 for the model 86 lever gun. Winchester catelogues listed the ammo until 1935.

The ammo has enjoyed a resurgence over the past 15 years with the popularity of Cowboy action shooting and BPCR competition. I know brass is available again from Starline, and loaded ammo might even be out there again.

The brass is actually rather easily made from 45-70 brass.

It fired a .403 bullet and factory loads gave it 1420 MV and 1165 FTlbs ME

There are a few web sites to buy and sell old and obsolete collector ammo. Those sites and Gunbroker may give you an idea of worth.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Zimmer, I checked a few sites but haven't found this box. Just trying to put a close date on it. I'm not a collector and have no idea where it came from or why I still have it. Never owned a 40-65

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Box is worth $100 or better to the right collector.
Its a later one, see the " non-mercuric", that gives it away.

·
Registered
12,137 Posts
In days of yore, Winchester frequently put dates of manufacture on it's products. But they are not as apparent as one would think. There are numbers which look like a date but I can only make out the 3-28

1 - 6 of 6 Posts