The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking to buy a 4 wheeler. found one for sale ,owner states the atv has no title. do atv's need to be registered in pa. ? any other info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
They all come with titles weather they are registered or not.I,m a farmer and use one everyday and don,t need a plate but think anyone else that owns one needs it registered with a plate.

·
Registered
21,258 Posts
Can you get a plate with no title?

I have an ATV and I don't have a plate, but I don't use the machine on public land. I'll get a plate and insurance the day I can legally drive it on all PA roads.

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
All of the ATVs I have ever owned had a title.

You can run an ATV vin on Car Facts. It its hot it should come up.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
You need to call an ATV dealership near you and discuss this matter with them..They will give you good advice..You buy a hot ATV and it can be called receiving stolen property..

·
Registered
46 Posts
It could be hot, or the owner could have just been careless with the paperwork. There are a lot of PA atv's out there without titles that are not hot. However without a title you will not be able to get it registered or insured, two things you need to have in PA if you ride it off of your property. Here is a link to the DCNR, who runs the registration of ATVs:

PA DCNR - ATV Registration

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the feedback. you guys are making it sound like it's almost impossible to get a atv titled that has no title. i've heard of people getting reconstructive titles for motorcycles and cars. why so hard to get one for an atv ?

i would not knowingly buy a hot atv . but i can see how a title could get lost or atv passed down to someone without a title . guess i don't under stand why it would be so hard to get a title for an atv, it's not like you can drive them on the street. thanks again for your comments.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Several years ago, I bought 2 of those cheap Chinese ATV's off a guy who built them from kits and sold them up by Prince Gallitzin State Park. They did not come with titles and were brand new. But, this was before they became so regulated as well. I believe now days they all come with titles. However, just because you get a license and registration from DCNR does not mean you can drive on roads. Unless designated otherwise, driving on PA roads with an ATV is illegal. Our Township Police department is pretty good with us because we drive slow on roads to get from trail to trail but if you're caught driving fast and wreckless (usually the local teenagers)they will stop you and fine you. (If they catch you)

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I have one that is not titled, well not to me anyway. The people who sold us our house included the 4 wheeler as an inclusion in our deal so we would have something to plow our driveway with. I called dcnr and told them our situation. They said if i really wanted it titled that they could try to contact the old owners asking them to release the title. If they either consented to them or if they did not hear back, they said i could submit the paperwork and have little trouble at all getting it titled. Theyre not as strict as the fish and boat commission. A friend of mine has one thats not titled either. He owns a farm and bought one brand new from the dealer and declined to have it titled to save money and because he said he'll never take it off his property to ride on state land anyway. If youre not planning on riding it on state land you do not have to have it titled.

·
Registered
21,262 Posts
There's a difference between having it titled and registered.If he bought it new,it's titled to him.Also,if you ever take it off your property,it has to be registered and insured.You can't get it insured unless it's titled to you.Riding on state land has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
Buck Whisperer said:
A friend of mine has one thats not titled either. He owns a farm and bought one brand new from the dealer and declined to have it titled to save money and because he said he'll never take it off his property to ride on state land anyway.
He may have declined to have it registered but they all should have a title or certificate of origin. If they didn't what would prevent a dealer from selling you a stolen ATV.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
yep.....what they said, it is titled if it came from a dealer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts