The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is involved to winterize a 4 stroke jet outboard engine. I really don't wanna take the boat to the dealer if i can do this myself. Oil change, spark plug change, pump in new grease in 4 fittings not a problem. The lower unit is my concern. What needs to be done with the lower unit?

Bought this set up in April at a dealer, said its best i bring it down early Sept. to have it winterized. I asked why so early? answer was 1st week in Oct. we get swamped. Well i plan to fish the Juniata up thru Oct. maybe into Nov. Thank you...

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
On the recommendation of three different Mercury Certified Mechanics, I ran a 60/40 Mercury 4 Stroke Jet on two separate gas tanks. One with straight gas and a small portable tank with a 100:1 mix. On their recommendation any time I knew the boat would be idle for a few weeks and before storing it for the winter I would run the boat on the 100:1 mix. They said that by doing this I would not have to fog the engine for winter storage and the Mercury could run all day on the 100:1 mix.
I would flush the engine with fresh water and re grease after every trip. Before it got cold enough to freeze I would blow the water out of the engine and out drive with a compressor through the fresh water intake.
Not sure if this woul work on engines from other manufacturers but I never had an issue with the engine in 7 years.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you pappybear for the reply. Great advise there. I have the Mercury. Thank you once again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts