The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently use a TruFire Hardcore, wrist strap style release and love it. It seems that I see many archers, both hunters and professional shooters, using a 4 finger style release.

What are the major differences between strap style and 4 finger? Why do many seem to be choosing the 4 finger style now when a wrist style was way more popular 5 years ago?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
When you say "4 finger", you are pretty much lumping two distinctly different releases into one group. There are basically 3 types of releases:1) trigger releases, like those with a wrist strap and an index finger trigger, whether or not it's curved or straight doesn't matter; 2)Thumb trigger releases where the release may be held with 3 or 4 fingers, and the thumb is used to "trigger" a post or barrel causing the release to work; and 3) Hinge releases, where again, the release may be held by 2-3 or 4 fingers, and the release works through applying "back tension" with a slight rotation of the release and hence firing it.
Both the thumb trigger and the hinge release are held with the back of the hand against the face, usually the space between the index knuckle and the second finger knuckle are held against the corner of the jaw below the ear.

I think what you are seeing is the carry over from 3D and target archery techniques into hunting, and along with that, more 3D archers are being featured in hunting shows (Levi Morgan, for example). I use a 3 finger thumb trigger from January to September, through 12 weeks of indoor target shooting and 36 weeks of outdoor 3D. I figured, why use something different for 6 weeks of archery hunting. I use more of a conscious "triggering" of the release in hunting, and not waiting for back tension to get it to go off. I want the arrow released when I want it to, and sometimes that window is small.

Hope this cleared some things up.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I shoot indoors and 3d's with a three finger TruBall back tension hinge, but hunt with a TruBall Short-N-Sweet index finger trigger release. I think learning to shoot a hinge release will help you be a better shooter. I think once you master shooting a back tension hinge, you can switch to any release and shoot better.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I shoot a three finger carter because I hate having a release strapped to my hand the whole time. I also shoot much better with a thumb release.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pa.Bone said:
I shoot indoors and 3d's with a three finger TruBall back tension hinge, but hunt with a TruBall Short-N-Sweet index finger trigger release. I think learning to shoot a hinge release will help you be a better shooter. I think once you master shooting a back tension hinge, you can switch to any release and shoot better.
But why do you think that? Is it a mechanics thing?

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
A back tension hinge release has no trigger. Some people compare shooting a release with a trigger either a thumb or index finger to jumping off a cliff its all or nothing. If done correctly a hinge back tension can reduce the mental struggle between holding, aiming and releasing the arrow. It relies on muscle memorization and allows you to focus on aiming, rather than releasing. You still have control over them and can hurry them when needed for hunting situations and more and more hunters are using them. I don't have one with a strap for hunting, but plan on buying a Scott Longhorn Hunter release soon and hunting with it.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
bassnleo said:
Pa.Bone said:
But why do you think that? Is it a mechanics thing?
It is easier to shoot a hinge or thumb with back tension. not that you can't shoot a wrist release with BT, but I found it much easier to learn with a hinge than a wrist release.

Why shoot BT. Your subconscious mind can do many thing at one time well, but your conscious mind can only do one thing at a time. So when shooting BT your conscious mind just AIMS & everything else is run by your subconscious mind.
Most when shooting a wrist release the conscious mind is bouncing back & forth from aiming to pulling the trigger. this causes you to flinch, pull off target, freeze off target, & many other bad things that effect your shoot. most are not good.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Rambush said:
I wonder how many of us are left that just use our fingers to shoot. Lol
You'll do fine with a trigger release. You'll also look for solutions like back tension or thumb trigger releases if you ever get a case of target panic. I'm not saying thumb trigger and hinge shooters don't get target panic, I'm saying that you need to do things a little different when you do.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the opportunity to shoot with a BT release today and frankly I liked it. I was at a local range and an acquaintance allowed me to try his Tru Ball Sweet Spot II. I got the hang of it pretty quickly. It intrigued me so I came home and ordered one lol.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I ordered a Scott Longhorn Hunter and plan on shooting it in my indoor league. It has the wrist strap and lanyard to keep it handy when hunting.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I have shot a thumb release for hunting for the past 4 years and cant see myself every going back to a wrist release. The number one thing for me is that i can set it on the dloop and just forget about it. I just got a carter chocolate and am really enjoying it before that i had a truball boss x

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I've been eyeing the exxos from Scott for awhile, its still on the wish list. Been trying to catch a used one for sale on AT and I'm usually to late by the time one pops up.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
treed74 said:
I've been eyeing the exxos from Scott for awhile, its still on the wish list. Been trying to catch a used one for sale on AT and I'm usually to late by the time one pops up.
I almost got one instead of the carter but i couldnt find one to shoot. I finally found one after the fact but only handled it. Very nice release

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pa.Bone said:
I ordered a Scott Longhorn Hunter and plan on shooting it in my indoor league. It has the wrist strap and lanyard to keep it handy when hunting.
I checked that release out, I like it. If or when I totally get the hang of the BT style, I could see myself using one of those for hunting also. I'm going to shoot an indoor league this winter as well, first time ever, basically just because it's "trigger time" and I desire to improve my accuracy, form, etc.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I have been shooting in winter leagues for years and its a lot of fun. I also have a range in my basement and can shoot almost 20 yards. The league I am in now shoots small animal targets and is very challenging and a lot harder then spots. We shoot at some very small targets like squirrels, dove, crows, rabbits, etc at 20 yards. The challenge is there is no spot and you cannot see the ten ring and must know where to hit the animal. Its all for fun and we are starting to get a lot of young kids shooting with their dad's. We all try to shoot our best scores, but its not to serious and talking or even farting when people are on the line shooting is ok

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I joined a local archery club and have been to it twice. On both occasions the members have been very courteous, helpful, welcoming. They have Friday night shoots for the kids and a really nice indoor range, in addition to a ton of adult shoots. I do think it will be fun for me, and also my 8 year old daughter who wants to learn to shoot as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts