The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
caught this male this morning and noticed blood all over my set. hind quarter was chewed up and bleeding badly, how many have seen coyotes mess up a trapped dog?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Never had a yote chewed on but have had fox and coon and skunk tore up and partially eaten.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I had a female yote one time missing half her tail and a fresh open wound where tail meets the body.I imagine the big male grabbed her by the tail when she wasn't following along.The sets nearby that one will get hit tonight or next.I got a big male the next night when this happened

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Sometimes a trapped Coyote will be beat up by other Coyotes.
I witnessed this.
Years back, As I drove into a field, I could see my set from long distance. What the heck is that, I thought. I stopped and pulled the binos up. Wow, three Coyotes, I surely had a double.
Nope. I could see two Coyotes darting into the trapped Coyote and nipping/biting. They continued until I drove within a hundred yards, when they saw my pickup.
When skun'd, trapped Coyote had a bite mark on the back and two bites to the flanks. It was a young male.
My thoughts were this young male was pasting thru another's territory. Sorta like being at the wrong place at the wrong time, but couldn't run away.
What's your thoughts?

·
Registered
626 Posts
or could it just be a pecking order thing? one yote sees a higher up vulnerable and takes the advantage. kinda like when u shoot a buck or gobbler and a younger deer or turkey decides to beat up the animal you just dropped. just a thought.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was thinking it had something to do with being an alpha or an alpha chewing it, but im no expert yet

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've had females bit up several times, from the evidence at the set it was her mate. Never caught the mate at that location. But have caught them at another spot close by. Using the females glands. On a semi related note. I've picked up females that seemed uncatchable using pup glands from that general area.
Also had a young male striped of its hide from the hips back and still alive. There were 2 labs coming out the lane as I was going in.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The "alpha male" theory is a crock, made up by a guy selling videos. They are animals. Dumb animals. They bite each other, heck sometimes they bite themselves.

·
Registered
431 Posts
So your saying there is no head yote for an area???I disagree.Almost all species have alphas for each area.Theres always they big buck the other bucks will not challenge.Theres always that big bear that the other bears stay away from.No doubt in my mind there is an alpha yote in each territory/family group

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not exactly. I'm sure there's a pecking order. But who cares? That stuff all sounds great in the demos and videos but its just fluff. Lots of voodoo and wives tales being passed around continuously. In the last day , I've read right here that coyote urine scares foxes, big backings scare animals, and now this alpha biting everyone stuff. Lol.....sadly, there's new guys reading this stuff and its setting them back bad.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
maybe they were just trying to pull him out. i have seen where beavers have tried to chew other beavers out of traps. who knows like bluecoons said they are animals.
i have caught turkeys before and the others in the flock killed it.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
well i didn't mean they were consciously thinking "hey we got to get joe out of there". but my father caught a small beaver in a 330 and the DEAD barkless poles used to stabilize were chewed off and fresh bite marks in the beaver.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Have had damage to the rear area of several yotes,male and female. Always thought it was another Yote doing the damage. Why, is the 64K question? Mark June said the alpha male will nip a trapped mate to get her going. I can buy that. In the case of males being bit by others, pecking order or territory would be my guesses. Talk about strange behavior, I had a Yote wait until I approached the circle and look down at dug up chunks of bait and gobble them down real fast.

·
Registered
626 Posts
i thought about this again one night when i couldnt sleep lol. for a coyote in a trap how can it not defend itself versus a single other yote. i dont think itd have any problems. just the trapped yote keeps the other in front of him. BUT what if there were two aggressors, one distracts while the other nips him in the bum. that at least narrows down the list of potentials in my mind to at least two attackers. I believe they see a chance to move up the pecking order so the whole pack (or at least a couple yotes) beat up on the trapped one. Now that being said that really speaks to setting doubles and triple for coyote. if you can catch one and use it to draw others in.
COULD BE WRONG im no expert and i dont pretend to be just made sense in my mind

1 - 16 of 16 Posts