The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize it all boils down to your ability to make shot placement, but I wondered if a 4" barrel is adequate for deer hunting?

·
Registered
429 Posts
what is the accurate range of that beauty ?

2-3" @ 50yd off the bench. My short range thicket gun. Shooting my own cast Lyman 250gr Devastator RNHP at 1000fps. Longest shot 65yds, lasered. Closest had to ckeck for powder burns. All complete pass throughs. All one shot. For me there's nothing better than handgun hunting.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
My 4' barrel would be a little overkill for deer. There is nothing in the reg's for cannons but I will be lobbying to get them added.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Absolutely adequate. Nine deer since I've been hunting with my S&W 329PD 44 Magnum. That's a Leupold Delta Point on top.
That gun has the worst recoil that I have ever experienced in a handgun(and yes I've shot most all of the big ones). Credit to you pulling the trigger at least nine times
Recoil is really manageable with my reloads in the 44 Special range. I'm getting complete pass through and one shot kills. Big heavy slow cast bullets are like the Energizer Bunny. They just keep on going. I did try some full house 44 mag loads one time. Actually three times. After the third shot I emptied the cylinder.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Recoil is really manageable with my reloads in the 44 Special range. I'm getting complete pass through and one shot kills. Big heavy slow cast bullets are like the Energizer Bunny. They just keep on going. I did try some full house 44 mag loads one time. Actually three times. After the third shot I emptied the cylinder.
Yeah I had the opportunity to shoot one at a demo one time. Absolute wrist breaker.

I have a snubnose 340PD in .357 Mag, it's nearly as bad.

·
Registered
358 Posts
A 4" barrel on a 357 in my opinion would be for very short range only. Even a 6" 357 would be minimum for deer in my opinion. Stepping up to a 44 special is better and the magnum even better. The velocity of a 4" measured by chronograph would dictate the usable hunting distance.

·
Registered
17,117 Posts
That gun has the worst recoil that I have ever experienced in a handgun(and yes I've shot most all of the big ones). Credit to you pulling the trigger at least nine times :grin2:

ever shoot a .500 S&W ? the tin roof on the outdoor range vibrates when that thing goes off :grin2: i shot it ONE time !

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
A 4" barrel on a 357 in my opinion would be for very short range only. Even a 6" 357 would be minimum for deer in my opinion. Stepping up to a 44 special is better and the magnum even better. The velocity of a 4" measured by chronograph would dictate the usable hunting distance.
I shot a doe at 25 yards with a 4” Ruger Security Six (357 Mag) and plain yellow box Peters factory 125gr JSP ammo. Complete pass through of both shoulders and dropped on the spot.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I have used a Smith 19 .357 for finishing shots but only used a smith 29 for actual hunting. The short sight radius on a 4" would limit the shots to pretty close range for me? I have shot long range steel with the longer barreled .44.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
ever shoot a .500 S&W ? the tin roof on the outdoor range vibrates when that thing goes off :grin2: i shot it ONE time !
Yes I have. I've also shot the 460S&W. Those are generally big guns with some weight to them. This revolver that he has is scandium alloy and it is so light weight that the recoil is brutal. Worse than the 500 IMO.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I hunt with longer barreled handguns in .44 Magnum, but I also have a 4” GP100 in .357 Magnum that I would certainly use for hunting.

IMHO, a 4” barrel would be the minimum.

In another forum, Handgun Hunter Magazine, a hunter just posted a successful deer hunt using a 4” S&W 686.

·
Registered
18,625 Posts
Most of us are bigger than the typical whitetail. I know I wouldn't make it far if I got hit in the chest with a 357 Magnum from any revolver. It comes down to shot placement. Know your effective range and stick to it, no matter what caliber and barrel length you use.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Not a 4 inch but I own a 5 inch S&W Model 629-3 Classic 44 Mag. I carry it from time to time for deer and bear. I bought it because it split the difference between 4 and 6 or 6 1/2 inch. Balances great. Killed a wild boar with it in the early 1990's

Reactions: bohunr
1 - 20 of 22 Posts