The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any takers on a redtag hunt opportunity. It will be this Monday in southern Chester county. I will be leaving from the Pottstown area if you want to join or meet along the way. Hunting is done from safe, secure tree stands. There are hang on's and ladder stands (one 2 man stand so let the kid bag a day of school) harness required. Great opportunity to harvest (was out with 2 HPA members this past Monday and all 3 of us saw deer. Yes, they are pretty far along now so just go for the fawn doe that are there (they are really healthy looking now). Give a PM if interested.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'm not in favor of having red tag this late in the season,especially when does will be starting to drop their fawns.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
I don't think I could be the trigger man on that, BUT it is a needed solution. There are alot of jobs a farmer does I don't think i could do either, but I am glad they do them.

Matty, nice of you to come to HPA to find folks to go with you on the Red tag hunt, that is what this thread ia about. Stay safe and enjoy the good company!!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks RB, I will and its always good company, the only other hunters I take are from HPA. Not to get into a debate over redtag hunting but I enjoy getting to hunt Feb-Sept with whatever weapon that I choose (except rifle), keeps the freezer stocked and provides a great opportunity to get together with other like minded people.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That is the point, reduce the deer population before the crops are up.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If a hunter doesn't know that a doe will have pretty big fawns inside her this time of the year, it will educate them. Since only doe are open in the Red tag period there is a good change most deer they shoot will have fawns in them.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Yep. And honestly, in my younger days, I wouldn't have expected it as I wasn't in tune with gestation periods, etc... just never paid it any mind.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This time of the year 99% of the deer out there are classified as anterless (doe). Male deer do get taken during redtag. Not correcting you JS just an fyi for the uninformed.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yep, however with optics you should be able to pick out buck if you don't want to kill them.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
exactly. have decent optics and patience, let the deer come into you, evaluate the animal and minimize the chances of shooting a shed or button buck. even with that its not 100% but sure does reduce the chances of shooting a male.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
MATTY, real impressed with your sense of responsibilty to the task. Just felt it needed said, we certainly don;t have 3/4 million guys like that in PA

·
Registered
142 Posts
Real class act. I am going to be one of the guys going, I had called a few farms around here that are red tag zones and had no luck. I figured my deer hunting was done until October, but he was gracious enough to put out the offer. Can't wait to meet Matt on Monday, shake his hand and thank him personally.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts