The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just shot my first deer this year w/ the Contender. I currently have a 35 Rem super 14 ...love to shot it. Would like to start using Cont. for small game and maybe turkey. Looking for advice/reviews of the 4.10 barrel or what I should invest in

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,462 Posts
I use a .410 Super 16 with 7.5 shot and will not be carrying a long gun anymore. It is every bit as deadly on small game as a long gun. I have shot a pile pf rabbits with it this year...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks
I am sure I want the 4.10...would like a rim fire also for fox
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,948 Posts
Fearnot4ME said:
Thanks
I am sure I want the 4.10...would like a rim fire also for fox
Shoot .410 slugs out of the same shotgun barrel for Fox
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,948 Posts
Ya, that heavy slug thru a fox should make a clean .410 caliber hole with out blowing up. You can get 2 1/2" or 3" slugs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the info............what is a good price for used 410 bar. and what length do you suggest
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,948 Posts
Beleive it or not I have never owned a Contender. I do however own .410 shotguns :)If you do find a .410 barrel for your contender, I would opt for the longest they make. Is it 16" ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
i have a encore with a 12 inch 410 and use it for rabbits i have a beagle and shot lots of rabbits it is the only way to hunt rabbits for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Barneydog what is range w/ it for bunnies w/ the 12" ......i would use it for small game but would like to try turkey and fox also
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Just remember that rifled .45LC/.410bore barrels are not shotguns. They are .45cal rifles/handguns and gun caliber restrictions apply for small game regardless of whether you use a shotgun shell or not. Small game is limited to 23caliber rifles and handguns. And during bear and muzzleloader seasons to .22 rimfire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,462 Posts
I have been checked 3 times this year while rabbit hunting and each time talked extensively with the WCO about my contender, I was not cited nor even given a hairy eyeball. Shotgun or not. Maybe something to with a choke tube? I did not ask.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,562 Posts
knight0334 said:
Just remember that rifled .45LC/.410bore barrels are not shotguns. They are .45cal rifles/handguns and gun caliber restrictions apply for small game regardless of whether you use a shotgun shell or not. Small game is limited to 23caliber rifles and handguns. And during bear and muzzleloader seasons to .22 rimfire.
That's the first time I've heard that one. It says right on the barrel that it is a 45 long colt or .410 shotgun. I never knew of anyone around here getting busted for hunting with theirs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
duckman76 said:
That's the first time I've heard that one. It says right on the barrel that it is a 45 long colt or .410 shotgun. I never knew of anyone around here getting busted for hunting with theirs.
Some WCO's are aware of it, some aren't. Legally though rifled .45LC/.410 guns are .45 caliber rifles/handguns and the restriction applies to the gun more so than the ammo.

There is rumor that the PAGC issued a revised Title 58 § 141.22.a.5 Regulatory Code to address such guns, and allow them when loaded with "fine shot" within the last 3 years, but the PA Codes website does not reflect such changes and no-one can provide an approved copy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,562 Posts
knight0334 said:
duckman76 said:
That's the first time I've heard that one. It says right on the barrel that it is a 45 long colt or .410 shotgun. I never knew of anyone around here getting busted for hunting with theirs.
Some WCO's are aware of it, some aren't. Legally though rifled .45LC/.410 guns are .45 caliber rifles/handguns and the restriction applies to the gun more so than the ammo.

There is rumor that the PAGC issued a revised Title 58 § 141.22.a.5 Regulatory Code to address such guns, and allow them when loaded with "fine shot" within the last 3 years, but the PA Codes website does not reflect such changes and no-one can provide an approved copy.
Can you clarify this for me then. The gun in question is the T/C 45/.410 barrel wich is a smooth bore for the shotgun and then you need to put a rifled "choke" in to shoot the 45 colt. So it is not a rifled barrel unless the "choke" is in the gun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,462 Posts
you are backwards, the barrel IS rifled and you never want to shoot a single projectile with the choke tube in. You take it out to shoot 45LC
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top