·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3rd heist proves fatal to gunman in W. Oak Lane
By STEPHANIE FARR
Philadelphia Daily News

[email protected] 215-854-4225

James Sullivan committed two robberies late Saturday night, but he didn't survive committing a third, according to police.

Armed with a gun, Sullivan, 24, robbed one man and then another as they separately exited a house on 15th Street near Chelten Avenue in West Oak Lane, Sgt. Ray Evers, police spokesman, said.

Sullivan also held up at gunpoint a third man who had exited his car after having driven to that location with plans to pick up the two victims, both of whom fled on foot after being robbed, police said.

What Sullivan didn't know was that his third victim was armed.

That man, who had a legally-owned gun with a permit to carry a concealed weapon, shot Sullivan - of Wissahickon Avenue near Manheim Street in Germantown - multiple times, Evers said.

He was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after midnight.

The District Attorney's Office is looking at the case, but the armed victim who shot Sullivan is not expected to be charged with any crimes, police said.

All three robbery victims escaped without injury, according to Evers.

·
Registered
20,191 Posts
To bad a young man lost his life but he played the odds and lost.
In true Philadelphia fashion they will find some way of putting the blame on the victim.

Its been over 12 hours since the shooting, I am surprised the deceased’s family isn’t all over the airwaves saying what a good boy he was, how he was trying to turn his life around, that he had a half dozen little kids he left behind.

·
Registered
393 Posts
3d time's a charm - huh?

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
"Its been over 12 hours since the shooting, I am surprised the deceased’s family isn’t all over the airwaves saying what a good boy he was, how he was trying to turn his life around, that he had a half dozen little kids he left behind.
"

How true, man I get tired of hearin that..

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Well,

That will show you what range practice, quality factory defensive ammo, and quality CC holsters will do for you when the situation presents itself.

Darn shame the kid just didn't either work for a living, or focus his efforts full time on finding himself employment. Usually, when you do one of those two things....your too tired to go out 'n rob someone.

MHO

Dave

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm actually surprised the rags of Philly papers covered it, and mentioned the fact that the victim had a permit to carry. But I do agree, one for the good guys.

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
slavage said:
i think some one is gona cry about how he ""Shot him multiple times"" and it will go to a civil court
Most usually do...Just because he was'nt charged does not mean the family is not gonna try and sue the pants off him...I mean, c'mon who gonna pay for the funeral expenses and pain and suffering that the family will endure from the loss of this outstanding contributor to society...

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Birch812 said:
To bad a young man lost his life but he played the odds and lost.
In true Philadelphia fashion they will find some way of putting the blame on the victim.

Its been over 12 hours since the shooting, I am surprised the deceased’s family isn’t all over the airwaves saying what a good boy he was, how he was trying to turn his life around, that he had a half dozen little kids he left behind.
Of course that's probably not counting several out in the 'burbs...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
i thought about this kinda suff when i first started carrying and i really think i would sue his estate and family right after the shooting... just to cover my tail and to be frank i would sue to have the spent cases and bullets returned to me sence they were my property ... would kinda be nice to have some thing like that when my little girl gets older lol

one thing i have learned if in a shooting.. two things to tell the officer..
1) i defended my self cause i beleaved 100% my life and or familys life was in danger..
2) im really sorry officer im really worked up i dont wish to talk about any thing untill i have my lawyer present and 24 hours have passed

·
Registered
440 Posts
lots of shooters say i only remember pulling the trigger once. don't remember the other 15 times I was so afraid!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Back in 94 I was involved in a shooting while on duty, the bad guy was "Neutralized" in offical department language. Before he met his demise he managed to get off 3 shots at my partner and myself. About 6 months later we were notified that we were being sued by his "estate" for a wrongful death, for the amount of one million dollars each. Thank God the judge threw it and the "estate" out of court after hearing all the facts of the case. I could just imagine what the shooter/victim is going to go through in a couple of months. The city of Philadelphia really is a world unto itself.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
BrowningFan369 said:
The city of Philadelphia really is a world unto itself.
Hey....Ed Rendell came from this city and you know how he thinks. 'Nuff said.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
4,848 Posts
I am sure a civil case will arise.Will he win or lose?Who knows.Right now that is unimportant.The victim is still alive and his assailant is not.O.J Simpson won his criminal case and lost every thing ina civil case.He committed murder though(alleged).This guy was protecting his life.I don't understand how you can even have the right to sue a victim if you break the law intentionally.You may need to fire more than one shot if the assailant is still aiming at you.That is the main reason I am willing to carry a 45 with 14 rounds loaded and a spare 13 round clip.Heavy and uncomfortable?You bet but it helps ease the mind.Six rounds may not be enough if there are several assailants.Police use to carry six shot revolvers.They don't anymore because of the firepower criminals carry.I wish the man luck though he will most likely need it.I hope I never need to use mine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts