The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we was talking a the cabin about priming powder the one guy uses 3f down the barrel and in the pan i was wondering how many people do this myself i use 2f down the barrel and 4f in the pan and to the ones who use the 3f in the pan can you tell if any slower or not

·
Administrator
39,076 Posts
I use 3f down the barrel and 4f in the pan.I did try 3f in the pan before, and there was a little delay with mine.When i use 4f it goes bang pretty quick.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I never noticed a difference. However, please remember that BP is measured by volume not weight. If your recipe calls for 90 grains of 2F down the tube don't be switching to 4F and keeping your charge at the 90 grain level. It won't blow up your thundercannon but it will defintely increase recoil and change the performance of the gun.

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
loon said:
we was talking a the cabin about priming powder the one guy uses 3f down the barrel and in the pan i was wondering how many people do this myself i use 2f down the barrel and 4f in the pan and to the ones who use the 3f in the pan can you tell if any slower or not
I've never noticed a difference...To be honest, I think they market the 4F to work in those little plunger style pan chargers better. In the old days they primed and barrel charged from the same container.

IMO, Muzzeloading is just another sport that has (for lack of a better word).. fast buck artists.. coming up with alot of products a person really dosn't need. To an extent, they've created wives tails to sell their wares.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
3f in the pan is ever so slightly slower. Such that many shooters do not perceive the delay. If set up right, and primed right, it should only be about .03 seconds between hammer fall and ignition. Darn quick. But so are deer if your delay adds another tenth of a second. Add the time for the bullet to accelerate. Add the time it takes for the ball or bullet to travel to the deer, (900 ft per second equals one third second to a deer at 100 yds.) add a .13 second delay and you are up to .46+ second lapse of time between hammer fall and arrival at the deer. How long after hearing the hammer fall, does it take a deer to jump out of the way?

Ever notice the sounds when they show an old flinter in the movies. Click shhhhhhhhh boom. You want your gun to go boom. Shooters who have practiced and learned their guns, hear no click or shhhhh. You want your gun to go off so fast that there is no separate click of the hammer fall. just booom.

Hunters hop up their charges to get more velocity, use bullets rather than round balls to get more ooomph. Why do something that slows ignition and defeat some of your other measures?

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
hunter4095 said:
I use 3f in the pan and down the pipe, it takes time to find the sweet spot but it works.
I use 3fg Swiss in the pan which comparable to Goex is 3.5 granulation. Shoot the 3fg Swiss out of my White Rifle .504 Super 91 so have plenty to share with the pan requirements for a lifetime or 2! lol

Kiddin aside..I found the Goex 4fg to be very suseptable to becoming pastelike in xtreme damp hunting conditions. 3fg granulations(Goex or Swiss) is far better in resisting the adverse effects of moisture commonly experienced while hunting.. IMO.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
What ever the caliber I'm carring likes either FFFg or FFg down the pipe.Somehow I got 3# of FFFFg and I still have the 1st # from many years ago!It lasts forever!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Personally I use goex 4 f in the pan and ff Swiss in the bbl. I will continue to use the goex 4 f until I run out that may be a while

·
Registered
81 Posts
3f down the barrel and 4 f in the pan.......for no better reason than that's what my Father taught me and what my Grandfather taught him.

·
Registered
199 Posts
2F in the barrel and 3F in the pan. I found the 4F to be more susceptible to clumping/pasting in damp conditions. If I use the right amount (very little!) in the pan I can't tell any real difference in ignition time.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I use FFF both down the tube and in the pan. I found if it is a very moist day outside when using FFFF in pan it attracts moisture quicker than the bigger FFF. I would rather have a little slower ignition than not shoot at all on those not so perfect days??

·
Banned
900 Posts
I love it when someone gets the Smokin Gurus going!! Lol! Recently I ran out of 4f. I have lost of 3f so decided to try it in the pan. Priming as I usually do seemd to slow the ignition. I read on here one time that a fella used a film canister and a lead ball to "reduce" the 3f into something more 4f like. After spending an enternity shaking the canister ball apparatus I swithed to a rolling pin and paper. After cleaning up that mess I went to the local shop and dropped the $21.95 for a fresh pound of 4f.
IMHO I think that it's all a matter of preference and what works for you. Good luck!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts