The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a small handgun to carry in warm weather and am thinking about something in the 380 caliber. Has anyone tried or used any of the Bersa guns?
Any suggestion would be appreciated make, model and quality,

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I picked up a Ruger LCP for $279 new about 6 months ago. Im happy with it so far...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Bersa's have been around for a while. They made some decent ones, and some bad ones. I sold Bersa for awhile when the company I worked for was the importer of Bersa firearms. Even their best ones would jam from time to time. I would not depend on one for my safety. But my remarks only concern the ones that would be at least 15 years old or older. I have zero experience with the newer ones. Tom.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I do not think that you could do better than the Ruger LCP and if you have the funds the Crimson Trace addition makes it that much nicer. Good Luck on your decision.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys

·
Banned
652 Posts
I had a keltec it jammed occasionally.I had a Diamondback the accuracy and feel of the gun was incredible but it jammed all the time I sent it back they told me they fixed it but it still jammed so I traded it. The NAA Guardian was the best of the three in my experience. I since have given up on small 380's and got a LCR. The funny thing about these small 380's when they don't function and you take it back to where you bought it in my case it was Ace Sporting Goods they respond by saying "these small pistols are known for jamming and are finicky with different ammo." They don't tell you that when you buy it. JMO with the guns mentioned above.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought a KelTec P3AT a couple years ago and it's a great little gun. Very reliable, but it took 300 rounds of break in to function 100%. Not really uncommon with cheap small semi-autos. Ed.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I have Keltec, 32, 380, and 9mm. I like them especially the little 32. It is my pocket and motorcycle gun. Gave the 9mm to my son and the 380 to my daughter. The thing about the Keltec's weighing only several oz. is that they respond to their own recoil, you have to grip them firmly.

My daughter gave me the gun back saying it was jamming. I went through a whole box of shells trying everything I could think of. Single shot, one in mag one in chamber, full mag, full mag +1, partial mag, slow fire, rapid fire. I never had a single failure. Gave her the gun back saying whatever it was it is now working.

She brought it back again saying it is still jamming. Went out with her to shoot it and her 1st shot it jammed. Seeing it, the light bulb went on. I told her to be sure her wrist was stiff, there were no more jams. Because they are so light if you allow the gun to freely rotate in recoil the weight of the gun alone will not provide enough resistance for the action to cycle against the recoil. Personally I never had a single jam on any of my keltecs. But maybe they should go with a lighter spring.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Bersa 380 Thunder are good. I had 2 of them and no probelems. Keltec is also good, once again never had a jam. Keltec is going to be lighter with is nice to carry in warm weather.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have a Bersa 380 Thunder and never have had it jam. As a matter of fact we load our on rounds and have never had a problem with it. Seems like a well made gun IMHO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts