The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this isn't the forum for this question....
I am getting an LCP .380 and was looking at the articles regarding the best self defense ammo. There are as many opinions on the subject as there are people
I don't have the time or desire to go do all the tests myself, so I was wondering what .380 ammo the HPA community uses.

·
Registered
958 Posts
My Colt Mustang Pocketlite in .380 loves Federal Hydra Shok 90 grain hollow point.

I do have a box of Hornady Critical Defense to try, but havent gotten around to it just yet.

I know you said that you dont want to test ammo, but if you are going to bet your life on this ammo then I would suggest that you test it to be sure that it cycles through your weapon.

Some of the smaller auto loaders can be a bit finicky with what they eat and how they cycle.

The shape of the bullet nose with HP carry ammo can cause FF problems with certain weapon/ammo combo's.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you haven't bought the gun yet, think about something not as anemic as a .380. It is better than no gun, but there are much better self defense calibers.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fallscity1 said:
I know you said that you dont want to test ammo, but if you are going to bet your life on this ammo then I would suggest that you test it to be sure that it cycles through your weapon.
I didn't mean to infer I won't test ammo running through my gun. I meant I didn't want to purchase 20 different types of ammo and shot into phone books, water jugs, clothing, backpacks... to see which bullet penetrated the most, mushroomed the right amount and so on. I plan to get a couple of the types mentioned here and run them through my gun....thanks for the input!!!!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have handled several shootings with 380s One the guy was shot eight times 4 in the torso one in the leg and three in the forehead.The shooter used Winchester Silver-tips. I know this because the bases were sicking out of his forehead. He was talking to me in the ER and survived. Another guy robbed corner store and was shot point blank in the center of the chest by the store owner and he ran from the store and was arrested two days. The store owner had used PMC hardball out of a Bryco. The robber who had been wearing a sweater and tee shirt had a scab on his sternum. I have a German PPK/S that I carried everyday for years but I retired it and bought a 2 1/4" SP101 in 357.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
John S said:
If you haven't bought the gun yet, think about something not as anemic as a .380. It is better than no gun, but there are much better self defense calibers.

+1

plenty of options out available

·
Registered
958 Posts
Peenoe Hunter said:
I have handled several shootings with 380s One the guy was shot eight times 4 in the torso one in the leg and three in the forehead.The shooter used Winchester Silver-tips.... He was talking to me in the ER...
if he was in the ER then the .380 as a defensive round did its job. If he was attacking someone I would assume that the attack was thwarted by the .380???

We all know that the .380 is not going to stop a 6'5" 350 lb hop head in his tracks with 1 shot, but it is better than no gun at all...

as for the rounds and his forehead, have heard too many stories from friends in LE about 9mm deflecting off of the skull of shooting victims too.

there is always going to be a bigger better round that will end all with 1 well placed shot... but not every one is able to or can carry a larger gun due to circumstances...

I would love to carry my Sig P-220 but with three little kids, and one or two always in my arms, a large frame is in the way... so I go with a pocket pistol.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Out of eight shots the one in the leg did the most damage. If he had a gun he would of been able to retaliate. He was shot eight times and walked into the ER. I have seen numerous deflections of the skull but these were straight on hits. Depending on multiple hits in a bad situation is mighty iffy.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have seen a few GSW's as well, my 2 cents is its better to have something, be it a .22Lr, or a .454....something is better than nothing and you dont want shot by any firearm. .380 is fine in my book, assess all opinions and gather your own facts to form your own conclusion. You gotta carry it, so make it comfortable and dependable.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I CC my Kel-Tec P3AT while Hunting. I have my doubts if it would penetrate a bad guy wearing heavy Hunting Clothes.Don`t know if a solid Bullet would be better in this situation than a Hollow Point???

·
Registered
723 Posts
Yep- 9mm is minimum for self protection. .40 cal even better

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
C-Money said:
I have seen a few GSW's as well, my 2 cents is its better to have something, be it a .22Lr, or a .454....something is better than nothing and you dont want shot by any firearm. .380 is fine in my book, assess all opinions and gather your own facts to form your own conclusion. You gotta carry it, so make it comfortable and dependable.
My decision to go with the lcp .380 was based on my ability to carry it in my front jeans pocket. I looked at the ket tec p9 and felt it a little too bulky to carry every day without someone wondering what was in my pocket. I am going to carry using a pocket holster, so that adds a little bulk to it as well.
Thanks again for all the input!!!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
The LCP 380 is jsut right for carrying in your front pocket. The bigger the gun the less likely you will leave it at home, especially in the summer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts