The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone loading universal clays in their 38? My smith and wesson 042 isn't plus p rated, and I was given 500 Speer 148gr hollow base wad cutters. I loaded up 200 of them over 3.5gr of the universal with rem 1 1/2 primers for some target loads. Anyone else have any experience with it?

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
I just started using it about 3 or 4 months ago. I was running out of Bullseye and went with the Clays. I'm loading 3 gr. with a solid base 148 gr. wadcutter.

It "seems" to be shooting about the same size groups as the Bullseye but I have to sit down at the bench and shoot off a rest to be sure.

I have not shot them over a chronograph. They are hotter than my usual target loads. I do intend to load some 2.5 gr rounds and compare the groups.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Don't shoot 38(but I have a ton of brass for it, so maybe I'll go get one) but my go to powders for pistols are Bullseye, Unique, and Pistol Power. All 3 are great powder fully burns. Don't know of many that use Clays.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The burn rate is very similar to unique, but it burns much cleaner.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I have only used bullseye and unique. To me Bullseye is dirty. Leaves a lot of crud on the stainless that's hard to get off.

The Unique is a little hotter of a load, but it burns much much cleaner. Not the greatest I'm sure, but I haven't tried anything else. Plus I shoot mine fairly tame.

I also use that in mild 357 mags for practice.

I mostly shoot 158 gr semi wad cutter I cast. I use them because the heavier bullets shoot the best in my guns (GP100 and Tuarus 38 snubby).

The Clays powder is interesting. I'll have to look up some loads once I get my loading equipment set back up again.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
The Clays powder is interesting. I'll have to look up some loads once I get my loading equipment set back up again.
It is cleaner than Bullseye.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I loaded up a bunch of cast bullets for Cowboy Action shooting and I think we used 3.1 or 3.2 grains of Clays.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts