The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
My pops .38 jammed while i was shooting it. I was shooting hot loads, and this never happend befor. I was wondering if this ever happend to anyone eles.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
If it's a 38 Special revolver then perhaps with your hot loads (whatever hot might mean) you had some primer flowback into the firing pin hole which would cause the cylinder to seize up. Would have to see the brass and primer to be certain. Just a guess.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
what kind of gun is it? I have a S&W model 36 that has never jammed. However, my taurus has failed to fire on one occassion when rapid firing. The cylinder failed to spin.

·
Registered
769 Posts
It is most likely an ammo issue, or a need to be cleaned issue. if "hot" means high pressure hand loads I hope your gun is a .38+P rated gun. if you are loading above .38 spl specs and have been doing it for a while your gun may be toast.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Look at the primers, if they appear to be flattened out at the edges then your load is way too hot. If they are blowing out of the cases then you have a head space problem as well as a load that is too hot. There is NEVER a reason to shoot max loads out of anything. It may give you more velocity but it kills accuracy and causes premature failures like this!

·
Registered
769 Posts
duckman76 said:
. There is NEVER a reason to shoot max loads out of anything. It may give you more velocity but it kills accuracy and causes premature failures like this!
I agree and would add it hurts too!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Well, I would respectfully disagree as to "max"/hot loads depending on how one looks at it. I shoot an over "max" load by most modern manuels in my Kimber 84 222 Rem. I ream the neck ID and neck size only and I'm back up there with a max load of the 1950's. With 21.0 gr. IMR 4198, a Rem 7 1/2 primer, and a 50 gr. spitzer I get 3350 fps on a hot summer afternoon. Accuracy is 1/2 Moa or better at 100 yds. No signs of pressure and I've yet to lose a case. It all depends on the firearm, the chamber, and the components used. The key is to work up low and discover what is a max load in your particular rifle/revolver and then back off a bit. I will agree that to just put together a "max"/hot load in a firearm and cut loose is not only foolhardy but down right foolish. Right now I'm pushing 2.0 gr. over book max with a particular powder and bullet in a Marlin 336 30/30 and have yet to reach a max in this particular rifle. I'm close but not there yet. When I get there, I'll back off a bit and have a dandy load for deer. So... hot loads aren't necessarily hot depending on the firearm used and the method used in working up the load. Just food for thought.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
rflktrman said:
I think you are playing with fire Muab.
Disagree....every rifle is a law unto itself....Been at it for almost fifty years myself and learned to pay attention...handloading demands patience and common sense and sound techniques, all of which enable a person to safely optimize the overall performance of his rifle...

I've loaded 20.5-21 of 4198 in the .222 with 50-52 gr. bullets for years....seated off the lands in cases of proper length, it's a perfectly safe load....my rifles won't do 3350 with it though....

·
Registered
805 Posts
Deer hunter I think you need to be a little more specific on the failure. And ammo used. Reloads or factory +p. As said above. To much pressure will cause the primer to flow back into the firing pin. Or under heavy recoil if the bullets were not crimped. They will move forward and jam the cylinder. All is speculation with the small amount of information provided. As to the hot loads. I also believe, with years of experience, It can be safe. How ever. Only you know how much you have. When I was younger I played around with pushing the Envelope. How ever now I stay with in listed loads. There are more reasons to stay with mid range loads than to test your limits.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Just because you can shoot over max loads in your gun does not mean it is safe. Over max loads will not only damage your gun it will also void the warranty. Iguess I see it like this: George Burns smoked and drank every day and lived to be over 100 years old. but many people smoke and drink everyday and die young because of it.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
If an "over max load" from a reloading manual isn't max in a particular firearm because of chamber differences, bore differences, leade differences etc...then its a safe load for that particular firearm. That's all I'm trying to say here. And if I understand things right if you shoot any handloaded ammo in your firearm that alone voids the warranty with most manufacturers - max load or not.

Muab Dib

1 - 12 of 12 Posts